Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: uses for bent up bandsaw blades

uses for bent up bandsaw blades

I have recently ruined 2 1/4" bandsaw blades, trying to cut a 6" round part. The blade bit into the part, the part rolled on the table, the blade got bent. Incredibly, I thought the first time was just a fluke, and tried it again. Almost had a nasty accident too.

So now I have 2 seemingly garbage bandsaw blades. Anyone have any good uses for these?

Saw use

I have heard of the band saw blades being reground into knife blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Schlosser View Post

So now I have 2 seemingly garbage bandsaw blades. Anyone have any good uses for these?
    I have a use for one of them. Mount it on the front of your bandsaw where you can see it to remind you not to cut a round piece without a jig to hold it securely.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Driveway Ice slick in hardwood with replaceable blade. Light weight and easily made.

You can cut them into small sections, bend them about 30 degrees or so, and use them teeth up as "painters points" for finishing.

I also have used them in a similar fashion to keep plane parts off the bottom of the citric acid tank during de-rusting.

Good luck,

Ken

What about a bread knife. The blade is a little wide but it may work out.

Andrew,
    They make great scrapers for scratch stocks.

BTW, how do you like you 'bent?

Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

I really like the bread knife idea. Talk about the silver lining!

I love my recumbent bike, as seen in my avatar. In the last couple years, I've sold our mountain bikes, and now have 2 delta trikes, BikeE's come and gone, a Rans V-Rex. Even better, now I'm starting to get into building my own! Plans are for a convertible social tandem. Wait- what forum is this?

Honestly, there are too many hobbies, and not enough time...

Cut them into 10-12" sections, bind them together at each end, and you have just made the most aggressive wood rasp known to man.

Blog Entries

homemade bandsaw rasp

Hi Andrew,
    Glad you were not injured.
    I'm afraid it does not sound like you used what many would consider to be sound technique.
    I have learned to cut round pieces mounted on a sled...
    a panel with a guidebar to ride in the miter slot for slow, careful feeding.
    I have secured the workpiece to the sled with screwed cleats plus wedges.

I had seen homemade bandsaw rasps referred to, and made a thread asking about it: (link)
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=93146
    Might give you a little something to ponder.

Sounds like a stack of similar lengths, maybe a foot long or so, bound with tape?
    Good luck with it,
    play safe,
    Walt
    There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going! WCC

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss

Crohn's takes guts. WCC

I use 'em cut into 12" sections +-, tape the ends, and use 'em to fluff up buffing wheels. Cleans up the glaze really well, and allows the use of different compounds on the same cloth wheel.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

fein tool blades?

Substitute for razor wire atop the survival compound fence when the depression comes and people want to eat your food. Or, maybe just use as bread knives.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Shnitka View Post
    Driveway Ice slick in hardwood with replaceable blade. Light weight and easily made.
    WADR, what's an Ice Slick?
    History teaches us that both men and nations behave wisely,
    once they have exhausted all other alternatives~~Abba Eban

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Schlosser View Post
    I have recently ruined 2 1/4" bandsaw blades, trying to cut a 6" round part. The blade bit into the part, the part rolled on the table, the blade got bent. Incredibly, I thought the first time was just a fluke, and tried it again. Almost had a nasty accident too.

As another poster has noted, put a piece of it on the wall to remind you not to cut round objects on the band saw, unless they are securely clamped.

Regards, Rod.