Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bed for an 18" American Girl Doll

Bed for an 18" American Girl Doll

Xmas request to build a doll sized bed for a granddaughter that's 9 yrs old. That also grew to include an Armoire to put doll clothes in, and while youre at it, make 2 so other grandkid could have one. Got the bed done, armoires are progressing. Since I built a full size bed for the grandkid a few years ago, I used the same plan (Shopsmith site, free plan ) and shrunk it in the computer, and printed it out. Armories , making them up as I go.
    A few pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow!! I don't want my granddaughter seeing these pics! That is a beautiful job on the bed. Great turnings, and wonderful style. I seem to recall the thread on the full sized bed, and the size reduction looks very much in scale.

I built an armoire this year for my granddaughter, but it is paint grade, and not nearly a "piece of furniture" as is yours. I feel like starting over now!

That bed is very nice Bryan and you're looking good on the start of the Armoire. You did a nice job of down-scaling.

Well done...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Blog Entries
    You're setting the bar awfully high for us other Grandpas. I was in the American Girl store in Dallas this weekend and took spy photos of armoire, beds, and treehouse. I also got a catalog. Told LOML that I would not be seen publicly reading an American Girl catalog but needd it for photos and basic dimentions. (No, I don't feel bad about the spy work because we spent enough money on other stuff.)

Thanks! Armoire is like one thats on the wood whisper forum. Daughter sent me 3 links she found, this style seemed easier, so far.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Wow!! I don't want my granddaughter seeing these pics! That is a beautiful job on the bed. Great turnings, and wonderful style. I seem to recall the thread on the full sized bed, and the size reduction looks very much in scale.

I built an armoire this year for my granddaughter, but it is paint grade, and not nearly a "piece of furniture" as is yours. I feel like starting over now!
    My Vega copier makes it easy!
    Heres a collage of grandaughters single 4 poster bed in maple from a few years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow...nice work!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have made American doll beds, but nothing like this one. beautiful - really very nice - could you post the plans in a pdf format ?

lou

Great work on the poster bed Bryan.
    Something I bet that will be treasured......

Quote Originally Posted by lou sansone View Post
    I have made American doll beds, but nothing like this one. beautiful - really very nice - could you post the plans in a pdf format ?

lou
    the plan is available from the Shopsmith site. Just google 4 poster bed plan and clik the shopsmith one.

Bed is Done!

Thought I should follow up with final pics of the project. I made a mattress cover , stapled to the box frame I made. I also bought some quilted fabric, sewed on black binding tape for a blanket. $1 coins became bolt covers.
    IMG_1368.JPG

IMG_1394.JPG

great idea to make the doll bed like the childs bed.... neato!!!!!

Amazing!

This type of gift will probably be remembered forever.

Whoaaa!! THAT is very nice work.

If you ever leave The Left Coast, visit the Chicago Institue of Arts, and go through the exhibit of the Thorne Rooms. That is really amazing. Your work would fit right in.

Whatta great Grandpa!!
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

More progress on the 2 armoires

spent all day and got 1 put together! I may leave the dentil molding off #2 , as I think the top sticks out an inch too far, but Swmbo likes it so #2 may have to be the same. I guess two 8 year old's won't care anyway, they will be glad just to have one of these walnut wardobe's to put their doll clothes in.
    IMG_1449.JPG

IMG_1446.JPG