Thread: Which wood?

Which wood?

I need to replace the slats on a couple outdoor benches and was wondering which wood holds up best in the weather?
    ken

teak first but very pricy... or mahogany, redwood if you have adaquate support.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Higginbotham View Post
    I need to replace the slats on a couple outdoor benches and was wondering which wood holds up best in the weather?
    Lots of choices, depending on your budget.

Teak
    Mahogany
    White Oak
    Cypress
    Cedar
    Ipe

That's the ones I can think of right away.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Cool. There isn't much of it. Probably 13 - 14, 36" x 2" sq slats per bench and there are two benches so I'll price teak and mahogany. What would be a good outdoor finish?
    ken

You didn't mention what wood the benches are Ken. I would probably use white oak unless if you are painting or unless the grain is just a pure mis-match with the existing using a non-paint finish. White oak is good enough for pier and dock poles and wooden ship beams as it is very resistive to decay but.... it would depend on what you already have if I were in your shoes.

Teak... red-wood and cypress are also great for weather.

Good luck...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Thanks John,

I went by ATL Hardwoods last week and picked up some poplar and a price list (See attachment). With teak at $40/bf I'll probably do mahogany.

These are the powder coated metal frame end type benches with wood slats. Kind of like this one:

Attached Files Attached Files
    ken