Thread: Grizzly G1014Z

Grizzly G1014Z

Anyone have one of these combination 48" belt/ 9" disc sander or a similar unit in their shop?
    I'm thinking about adding one and wasn't sure how useful they are. They look easier to use than a hand held belt sander and I'd prefer to control the piece of work rather than the tool.
    Any info at all is welcome...

I don't have that particular model, but a stationary belt sander is one of the most useful tools in my shop. Put it in a prominent, easy to get to location, because once you get used to having one, you'll wonder how you functioned without it.

My first combo sander was fairly inexpensive. It worked very well, but the cheaper models do not have bearing in the rollers - just bushings - and they wear out quickly. The G1014Z appears to be well made though.
    Stan

I have one about 10 years old

I can't speak about the new ones, but the one I have is "old grizzly" quality. It works, but it's crude and noisy.

Would recommend this or similar. We have a newer model 48 X 9 Grizz that works fine and is a very useful, all-'round tool. Only problem we had was getting the belt tension just right so the tracking doesn't wander.

Not a comment on the Grizzly, but I had a Jet which I replaced with an old Powermatic that I restored. Then I got an edge sander and realized that the edge sander would do everything I'd ever used the belt/disc for but not vice-versa.

I checked out a comparable Jet unit but found it to be a few hundred dollars more than the Grizzly. Not sure why. The Grizzly looks like a lot of machine for $325.00