Ohhh ...

I like big bowls and I can not lie
    You other brothers can't deny
    that when a big 'ol burl
    want to take a twirl
    You just gotta ride that bevel

;-)

Classic. That hilarious.

I sell mostly bowls. The ones that move best are the 'meal' bowls which you can put an entire meal in, about 8 to 10 inch by about 2 deep. Smaller bowls sell well for small families or big salad lovers in the 10 to 12 inch diameter and 3 to 4 inched deep. Bigger bowls up to about 16 inches are more for big families. Bowls over 16 inches are for entertaining. Over 16 inches is a specialty market, and do sell, but you generally don't find those people at Arts and Crafts shows. Access to that size wood for me isn't a problem. I just took down the last of a Big Leaf Maple from a friends yard. 33 years old, and over 30 inches before the stump flared out at the bottom. Lots of rain, watered in the summer (our dry season), and fertilized by the garden.

robo hippy

Agree with others....

Getting access to that size of tree (20" to 32" diam) isn't too difficult for me, but as others have said, it's rough on the body, and they don't sell well. I do know of some pro turners who regularly get accepted to art show/fairs, which don't accept crafty type items, and they have been able to sell large work at times. But it still isn't an easy market even for them.

That said, I can't resist throwing a 120 lb blank on the lathe from time to time just for fun. Yes, I ache afterward, and they all are still sitting here in my house, but it's an addiction that I can't break.

Kevin, don't worry I'm with you, when I get all that I need for my big lathe at school with a max 40" swing, I'll make a BIG bowl, I'll post it. and like others said, they're old (not that old) but I got plenty of liveliness in me and I wanna make some big bowls for salad and such so I'll post em.
    well depending on the way I would travel, I'm roughly 2,340 miles to 2,529 miles away from the infamous STEVE SCHLUMPF!!!!

Kevin, I'd echo what folks have said (and currently have an order for 5 bowls in the neighborhood of 18" - 24" or so). Sent one off, finishing one, and one other due prior to Christmas. I like that, but they do tend to take a slightly surprising amount of more time. Makes sense they'd take a little more time, but I was surprised it takes a lot longer - but then I don't have a coring system. Not sure if that'd be faster. The only thing I've not noticed is being sore or tired and yet I'm not a 'youthful' person, but fairly energetic I guess. Anyway. That's my take on it for what it's worth.

Best to you,

Jude

The coring system does save a lot of time. A bit on removing the core, and a lot when you shape the outside of the core as most of the bulk is removed, and you just have to fine tune it. Not to mention that you can get several bowls. On a 4 bowl cored set, with the large one being about 14 inches, the first one takes me about 30 minutes. the rest take another 20 or so minutes.

robo hippy

Some bowls are held for charity
    And some for fancy dress
    But when they're held for pleasure
    They're the bowls that I like best
    My bowls are always bouncing
    To the left and to the right
    It's my belief that my big bowls
    Should be held every night

Alas, my lathe only has a 12" swing.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

those of us with the big wood to turn have been stuck with small lathes, and those with big lathes either dont have big wood, or dont feel like making big things
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

That was freaking hilarious, Cody!
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.