Thread: Cornhusker Pens

Cornhusker Pens

In honor of Nebraska winning the Big 12 North, a few corn cob pens from real Nebraska Corn Cobs. These are really easy to blow up when turning but lots of CA on the tubes and time to cure seem to help. These are not stabilized so lite cuts are in order. Blanks are painted on the lathe then wiped off with a rag while the paint is still wet. Big challenge playing Texas on Saturday. GO BIG RED
    Attached Images Attached Images

Steve,

Nice pens. I hope you are not premature with your celebration.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Steve,

Nice pens. I hope you are not premature with your celebration.
    Actually I am just glad for the North win. I have no grand expectations against Texas.

Who are the huskers???? Oh yea those guys. Nice pens Steve. Really well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Stupid question of the day - If the blanks are not stabilized, how are you able to use the cob as it is? It seems like it would just rot underneath the CA. I have seen stabilized corn cobs before, so I am obviously missing something here.......

P.S. I am sorry in advance for your team's loss on Saturday.

Those are some nice pens. I've been in Texas all my life but was raised to be a Husker fan. I sent the pic to a few people that will get a real kick out of those.
    Bo

How much money and/or time did "The Creek" save you today. I'll bet it was more than the cost of becoming a contributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert McGowen View Post
    Stupid question of the day - If the blanks are not stabilized, how are you able to use the cob as it is? It seems like it would just rot underneath the CA. I have seen stabilized corn cobs before, so I am obviously missing something here.......
    I used the cigar pen which has the bigger tube. When you drill out the soft center part of the cob it leaves cob that the corn kernels are attached to which is very hard. Once you cut through the chaff, know as bee wings about 1/8th inch thick, then what you have left turns about like wood. Biggest problem is small cracks which you can not see until it comes apart and you start over. I try to get cobs from folks that feed squirrels which have not been damaged from going through the combine. Sorry--this is probably a lot more than anyone cared to know. Been in agriculture all my life-easy to get windy.

Great looking pens Steve! Not something you see everyday!

Appreciate the additional info on turning corn cobs. I don't turn pens but you just never know when that kind of info will come in handy! Besides that - it's just plain interesting! Thanks!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

cob pens

Steve

Great looking pens. I tried to turn some last year. They were stabilized blanks. I had a heck of a time trying to turn them. Do you do anything to the raw cobs before you turn them.

Darin,
    No I don't do anything to the cobs. Just try to get as much glue on the tube as possible and always let dry at least overnight with no accelerator. Cobs from the field come in lots of sizes, you kind of have to look for the ones that will fit the tube. I have done a slim line or two with some small cobs. One key is to get the soft material in the middle of the cob completely drilled out. Hope that helps,

Dang Steve, those are cool. good luck in your game saturday!
    well depending on the way I would travel, I'm roughly 2,340 miles to 2,529 miles away from the infamous STEVE SCHLUMPF!!!!

Great pens and nice job! Wouldn't you know I have a bit of loyalty to both teams? Ha, and we're not truly die-hard fans, but have lived in TX many years, but I went to a college in NE and yep, state loves the Huskers! I loved my time there. So we'll see how the big face-off goes! Nice job again!

Jude

Great looking pens, Steve, and congratulations on the Big 12 North title. However, as a lifelong UT fan, I hope Texas hammers the "children of the corn".

Hook 'em 'Horns
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Nice Pens!! But they won't beat Texas HOOKEM!!!