View Poll Results: Do you "Break" your sandpaper?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Huh?

80 68.38%
  • Who cares? Sandpaper is cheap!

9 7.69%
  • Sometimes

17 14.53%
  • Always

11 9.40%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you "Break" your sandpaper?

Do you "Break" your sandpaper?

I was trying to explain this to someone and it occurred to me that it might be something strange I learned...

Whenever I use regular sandpaper, I "Break" it by drawing it across a sharp edge (workbench edge for example) I pull it across a couple of times in different orientations to flex the paper and crack the adhesive.

IIRC I was told to do this in woodworking class perhaps in 7th grade.

From what I can tell it makes the sandpaper last longer by making it harder to load up and preventing the grit from coming off in chunks.

Do you do this? What do you call it?
    Last edited by Yitah Wu; 12-01-2009 at 1:21 PM.
    "The will to achieve is nothing without the will to prepare" Juma Ikangaa

Sounds interesting - never tried it. Most of my use is on the lathe and the paper get pretty 'broken' fairly quickly.

Blog Entries
    I voted "huh?" but am pretty sure this is not a requirement on our modern paper/adhesive products(?). The paper I use is quite flexible right out of the pack.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I call it crumpling.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Well, so far I'm the only "always". Most of my paper use is on the lathe, and that's where I learned it. It breaks the fibers in the paper, making it more flexible, and helps avoid a knife edge when the paper bends, minimizing ultra-deep sanding scratches, particularly on the inside of bowls.
    Last edited by Jeff Willard; 12-01-2009 at 8:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Willard View Post
    Well, so far I'm the only "always". Most of my paper use is on the lathe, and that's where I learned it. It breaks the fibers in the paper, making it more flexible, and helps avoid a knife edge when the paper bends, minimizing ultra-deep sanding scratches, particularly on the inside of bowls.
    Wow, I'll have to try that...... Thanks!

Most of my 1/4 sheets have acquired a curl toward the grit side of the paper. When using the 1/4 sheet ROS I always reverse the curl so as not to present the curled edge to the work surface.

This thread brought up a long lost memory of my father doing that with his sandpaper. But I've got to admit, I haven't done it once in my adult life.

I guess I'm only the second person to know what he was talking about. I learned from watching my father in the shop when I was a little kid. The paper folds so much easier and sands more consistently IMO.

I voted always
    but
    really should have clicked "most of the time"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Willard View Post
    I'm number 4. In deference to the recently deceased Patrick McGoohan, I should have waited a bit so I could be Number Six - but it's late here on the right coast, and it's bedtime.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

For all the old handtool knowledge being brought back, there's still a thing or two to learn!

I'd like to hear feedback after some of you try this.

I was taught to do almost a decade ago in High school woods class. I've never really been sure if it makes the sand paper last longer, so i tend to do intermittently.

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yitah Wu View Post
    ............Whenever I use regular sandpaper, I "Break" it by drawing it across a sharp edge (workbench edge for example) I pull it across a couple of times in different orientations to flex the paper and crack the adhesive. .......From what I can tell it makes the sandpaper last longer by making it harder to load up and preventing the grit from coming off in chunks......
    I dont know what brand or kind of sandpaper you are using so I can not comment on it. However, in my personal experience, I have not had sandpaper crack or grit fall off in chunks in well over 30 years. That was quite common on the old garnet paper. I use mostly 3M brand. Tomorrow I will try to remember to look at my sandpaper file cabinet and note the brand and the model.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Bilello View Post
    I dont know what brand or kind of sandpaper you are using so I can not comment on it.
    I typically use SiC or AlO papers, though I do have some garnet my dad bought perhaps 30-40 years ago.

I can't say whether chunks fall off if I don't "break" AlO paper since it's such a habit to do so. Obviously more of a potential on coarser grits and heavier papers.

As someone else pointed out, this makes the paper much more flexible for sanding curves, etc. Otherwise your paper gets crinkly - corners then don't do as good a job.

I do notice chunks coming off 120 grit H/L Mirka "gold" paper when re-use paper from my ROS to do hand sanding.
    "The will to achieve is nothing without the will to prepare" Juma Ikangaa