Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to choose between a #4 and #4 1/2 ?

1. My best advice is to get yourself a fettled vintage Stanley #4, much less of an investment while you use and get used to using it (maybe add a Hock iron, or then again, not), then consider the upgrade to a #4 1/2, as there's nothing you can do with a #4 1/2 that you can't do with a #4, and an old Stanley in good shape will run rings around an Anant, and in my experience be 95% of a LN or LV (not that I am dissing either, I own several LN and LV planes, but not a #4, or a #3 for that matter, from these fine companies). Bevel up smoothers that are vintage are very pricey due to collectors so I consider LN and LV the only reasonable source for these. I can only imagine what you've been going through with the Anant. Oh, and learn how to sharpen irons, well.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jones III View Post
    I There is no used market to speak of where I live so that is not much of an option and after my experience rebuilding the Anant I'm ready to buy a handplane that is ready to use.
    Oh, forgot to add you should watch the classifieds below, and the swap and sell over on WoodNet; plenty of planes for sale by reputable folk who have given the tools a once-over in both from time to time; its slow now likely due to the holidays.

One of the best parts of my experience with the Anant is that it forced me to learn more about how the hand plane works so that I could beat it into submission. It also forced me to become good at sharpening! I'm very happy I started with that b/c it really forced me to learn.

Last year I asked people what is the "The Best Smooth Plane You Have Ever Used"?
    http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=85673

You should probably buy one of each of the planes listed and then make your choice.

Here is a compilation of responses:

We now have a list of 41 "Best Smooth Planes You Have Ever Used" with about 36 planes or variations of planes included!

Bridge City CT-12
    Coffin
    Coffin
    Clark and Williams York Pitch
    ECE 711
    ECE Primus
    HNT Gordon
    HNT Gordon - T1 HSS blade
    Japanese Plane
    Japanese Plane
    Japanese Plane - Shop=made with help of Inomoto-san
    Japanese Plane - Yamamoto 120mm
    Krenov
    Krenov-made smoother
    Lee Valley Bevel Up Smoother
    Lee Valley Veritas Low Angle Smoother
    Lie-Nielsen #4
    Lie-Nielsen 4-1/2
    Lie-Nielsen 64 Low Angle Jack - 36° iron
    Light Woodie
    Marcou Infill
    Marcou S15
    Mathieson Infill
    Millers Falls #14
    Mujingfang
    Norris A5 Infill
    Norris A5 style Infill - Shop-made
    Norris Infill
    Ron Brese
    Ron Brese Kit
    Sauer and Steiner Infill
    Shepherd Infill kit - Shop-made
    St James Bay Infill Kit
    Stanley Bedrock 603 - refinished
    Stanley #4 type 7 with Lie-Nielsen .125 blade
    Stanley with Hock Blade
    Stanley#3 Infill Smoother
    Steve Knight Padouk Coffin
    Wards Master #4

"The best plane is one you have learned and tuned to it's max."
    Steve Knight
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 12-02-2009 at 11:07 PM.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Lots of sound advice already, but I'll put in my two cents anyways!

I have a lot of smoothers (planes in general), and the order of choice (for smoothers) is my Clifton #3 , then my LN #4 with a high angle frog OR my LV BUS (for which I have a regular and high angle blade, plus a toothed blade, which is used far more than I ever thought).

Why the #3 first? Don't really know, except maybe it fits my hand better?

Tom,

As others have said, I think the answer to your question is strictly a matter of personal perference. I'll give you my experience for what it's worth.

I didn't own a 4 1/2 until about a year ago. My favorite smoother was a 604 bedrock that I had tuned and upgraded the blade and chipbreaker. It's a wonderful plane and it was my favorite smoother. Then I got involved in a project that required smoothing some large surfaces of very curly cherry. Never one to miss a chance to buy a new tool, I siezed the opportunity and ordered a LN 4 1/2 with a York pitch (50 degree) frog. I was, and continue to be, very impressed with the plane, and it is now my dedicated smoother of choice.

I still use my 604 a lot. It is a very versitile tool. I use it for small smoothing tasks and for all those many, many occasions where just one or two swipes with a sharp plane are all that needed to put things right. I don't pull out my 4 1/2 unless the job calls for serious smoothing of large surfaces. That's where the 4 1/2 shines.

Since you don't already own a high quality #4, I think Richard's advice above is excellent: Start with a good #4 and, when you're ready, add a 4 1/2 later. The #4 will do everything a 4 1/2 will do and you'll use it a lot where you wouldn't ordinarily pull out the great big 4 1/2. The #4 is a very versitle plane - that's why there are so many of them in the wild. When you get around to adding the 4 1/2, you will enjoy the larger plane, and I don't think you'll find that it is superfluous or that it duplicates the #4.

I don't agree with the idea that hand size should dictate your choice. My hands are small and I don't find any particular advantage or disadvantage in using either plane because of my small hands. As for bevel-up vs. bevel-down, I think that's a matter pf personal preference also. I own a LN bevel up smoother. I seldom use it - not because it's a bad plane, it's not -but because I just prefer the traditional bevel down smoothers. I have nothing against bevel up planes. In fact my bevel up jack has become my favorite plane of all, and I have no doubt that those who prefer bevel up smoothers get excellent performance from them. Again, its a personal preference thing.

It's your choice. Go with your gut. You'll be happy with with your choice, whatever it is.

My $.02

Hank
    Last edited by Hank Knight; 12-02-2009 at 4:40 PM.

Tom,

This blog from Chris Schwarz just showed up in my mailbox. Check it out:
    http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com...+Than+New.aspx

-Jerry

8. Seems to me that you need to answer the "what will I use it for" question and analyze it carefully. You said you were looking for a smoother. Will that be its only function? Lots of people like 4 1/2s and more weight because they use these planes for things besides smoothing and use sandpaper for what some call smoothing with a plane. If it's true smoothing that you're after, I'm on the side of those who believe that smaller/lighter are very beneficial. I use a #3 myself for this purpose. By contrast, if you expect to face boards with the plane, the 4 1/2, or maybe even a 5 1/2 might be more appropriate.

Cheers --- Larry

I say get both!
    Attached Images Attached Images

here are a Stanley 4 and LN 4 1/2 side-by-side for comparison. The LN has a higher angle frog, which gives a bit more room between the tote and top of the blade.
    Attached Images Attached Images