Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grinder Question

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    On the other hand I have the Delta and it works fine for me so far. Maybe I'm just being naive.
    Or maybe I just got the lemon (though I have heard of other bad ones).

Have you changed the wheels yet? Mine was pretty smooth until the first wheel change, and went downhill from there. (It's the inner flange washers and shoulder on the shaft that causes the problem. It prevents the wheel from sitting square to the shaft.)

I like my Baldor. I don't have a cadillac lathe, but I do have a darn good grinder.

1800 rpm 8x1 wheels.

If you get one and the Wolverine jig, let me know, as it requires some slightly unusual set up steps to make it all work together (rotating the housings and blocking up the bases).

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Baker View Post
    Or maybe I just got the lemon (though I have heard of other bad ones).

Have you changed the wheels yet? Mine was pretty smooth until the first wheel change, and went downhill from there. (It's the inner flange washers and shoulder on the shaft that causes the problem. It prevents the wheel from sitting square to the shaft.)
    You know, I just changed the wheel and haven't run it yet. Now I am worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jagerson View Post
    I was watching a video from Richard Raffan (1992?) and he was doing it free hand! I sharpen my drill bits on a 6" wheel freehand but not sure I would want to try that on the turring tools.

Any thoughts on the grinder type?

Thanks

Jay
    Jay, I've watched that same video -- pretty cool, eh? I took my first woodturning class in October from Bonnie Klein, she sharpens freehand too. I tried it, but with no success, finallly got the Wolverine jig. I'm sure there effective DIY jigs, but sadly I didn't have time to make one.

My grinder is the same Craftsman grinder that is in that Raffan video, picked up at an auction several years ago, and with all these start-up costs, I can't afford to abandon it. It's only 6", and someday I'd like to have an 8". But with regard to the speed, I have HSS (high speed steel) chisels, and the 3450 rpm isn't a problem, as long as I use a light touch and check to make sure I'm on target, mostly to make sure I don't over-grind a particular area. If I need to check a bevel (the black-marker routine), I start the grinder and turn it off, then touch the tool to the wheel when it's moving at about half-speed.

Get high-quality wheels, it really makes a difference!

Thanks everyone. I now really am feeling the Vortex!

I had what I thought was a decent wood shop set up but man there is so much to this. Not complaing as it sure looks fun!

I may just buy a jig!