Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toilet seats: round, elongated or large

Toilet seats: round, elongated or large

I looked for a new toilet seat at Home Depot and Lowes and I find they use terminology "round", "elongated" or "large" to distinguish the various types of seat. "Round" fits my commode, but it doesn't conform to the shape of the bowl very well. "Elongated" is definitely too long. Are there more types of seats than those three?

Not that I know of. Round and Elongated are usually pretty "standard" and you choose the type for your toilet shape which is also round or elongated. I suppose there could be some brands that are, um...slightly deviated...in shape from others...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The round and elongated seats are proprietary to toilets that are either round or elongated....dunno squat about "large" seats or if there are large bowls available.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I prefer elongated, allows the milddle leg to dangle more freely.

best bet: trace the seat onto some paper, get the mfg from the toilet and see who sells them. take the traced outline to them and compare with what they have available. quite possible the previous owners put in an industrial toilet. Not all seats are universal.

I don't mind carrying my folding rule into public places, but a tracing of a toilet seat?

I'm laughing so hard I practically have tears in my eyes.

"Sir, can you fit this? What's that? Why it's a tracing of my toilet seat, of course....hey, are you feeling OK mister? You look sick all of a sudden....oh hey...wait....ok, now that was totally uncalled for..."

ROFL.

Better go for the large. The last thing you want is for it to be too small.

Blog Entries
    I know those elongated ones make a heck of a loud noise when one slips out of your hand in the middle of the night while you are trying to be quite.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    I don't mind carrying my folding rule into public places, but a tracing of a toilet seat?
    You're other option is to just carry the whole toilet seat in with you.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

Weird Toilet Seat

At one time the company I work for was also involved in high end kitchen and bath accessories, including toilets. All of our office spaces are built to show off the different types of mouldings and wood products we produce, and the lavatories are no different. We have vessel type sinks, and a collection of the strangest toilets you have ever seen. It's a maintenance nightmare, as most of the valving, and yes, the toilet seats, are proprietary to the model in question. I have seventeen restrooms to maintain, aside from the "normal" employees restrooms, and yes, each one has a different toilet I hunted for three weeks to find a new seat and cover for a European model which had been discontinued. Sort of oval shaped, made me want to sit on it sideways.
    Stephen, somewhere on your toilet will be a brand name and model number...google it and the proper seat should be listed in the part list.
    Mick

Such a problem

Only in America would a group of serious guys be faced with such a daunting dilema. I think the most important thing is that it has a hole in it.
    Last edited by Jim King; 12-03-2009 at 2:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I'm laughing so hard I practically have tears in my eyes.

"Sir, can you fit this? What's that? Why it's a tracing of my toilet seat, of course....hey, are you feeling OK mister? You look sick all of a sudden....oh hey...wait....ok, now that was totally uncalled for..."

ROFL.

Better go for the large. The last thing you want is for it to be too small.

You guys can laugh all you want, really, I don't mind, but it's the best way to find the right one. If you (or the Mrs.!) don't want the seat overhanging or underhanging the bowl, you'd better get the right one. I found that even with the tracing taken to the dealer of said fixture, they needed to match up the dimensions before finding the correct one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Troy View Post
    I know those elongated ones make a heck of a loud noise when one slips out of your hand in the middle of the night while you are trying to be quite.
    Not the ones in our addition...they all have soft-close. The one in our powder room will be replaced with a soft-close in the recent future, too...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I was in Home Depot and could not find the seat I wanted when a clerk from the Kitchen and bath design dept came over to help. He was able to order me the exact seat for the brand toilet I had in the EXACT color to match. Did not cost any more than stock item and had it in a few days.
    So go see the kitchen and bath design guy.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I for one would appreciate a line of toilets that are at least six inches higher than "standard."

Tall people need a tall "throne" after all.
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.