Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need to change knives in my jointer...

plus one for David

Sometimes you search in vain then post and while you wait the worm in the world wide web delivers but Creekers always have a cool twist on even simple or mundane post. David has help me before with the simple and stupid and it is taken to heart
    thanx

"Most searches are not a one shot deal...many of my Google searches on woodworking topics return SMC posts as a result!"

Good point. That has been my experience as well. And Google of today is not the same as the Google of yesterday. Google used to produce the most accurate results of any of the search engines. That's how they became dominant. But in recent years the results are much more ambiguous and driven more by advertising dollars than by any dedication to being the most accurate. I'm amazed at how many times I search for a product and the vendor's own web site is buried on the third page under a ton of listings for sites like ThomasNet and About dot com.
    David DeCristoforo

Google vs This Forum

Another thing to keep in mind here is the following:

The questions and their replies of today become the Google hits of tomorrow. By answering questions here, you are adding to the overall body of knowledge available to the next guy who does try to get an answer via a Google search.

Carl

We who have been woodworking for 30 years do tend to groan when yet another thread is started concerning subjects such as this one. But, instead of groaning here, I would like to leave the following thought:

30 years ago there were no home computers, much less the internet! Until the advent of Fine Woodworking mag, woodworking advice and technique were easier found in old books at the public library. Popular Mechanics mag did however have a tidbit of woodworking info in almost every issue. We came by our information very slowly, the hard way! Alas, after a time we even groaned upon opening Fine Woodworking. We had outgrown the rehash of mundane articles there too!

Today tons of specific information is literally at our fingertips! We have the option to pass over the mundane subjects and lean toward more meaty topics if we so desire. As mentioned before, we are under no obligation to comment. Just keep scrolling!

Try to remember, todays newcomer deserves our respect rather than ridicule. We older woodworkers have inherited the role of teacher and mentor to younger woodworkers, which will keep alive the traditions of woodworking for yet another generation.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

I have the RIDGID jointer. You just need a small allen wrench and an open end wrench (both metric, I believe). Can't remember the sizes, but easy to find at any hardware store).

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Donahue View Post
    Hey folks. I've been running my Ridgid 6" jointer for a while now and it's finally time for new knives. I can't find the accessories that came with it though, so I don't have any wrenches or anything. Can you give me any alternatives? Is it possible to get the parts from Ridgid if another wrench won't work?

Thanks!

Guys you missed the point

Wrong information was provided!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    7/16 or 3/8" bolt. No special tools.
    That is what you get with "human interaction" you get misinformation

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hunsinger View Post
    Another thing to keep in mind here is the following:

The questions and their replies of today become the Google hits of tomorrow. By answering questions here, you are adding to the overall body of knowledge available to the next guy who does try to get an answer via a Google search.

Carl
    Tomorrow is here. Googled "change jointer knives rigid" just now and this thread was the third hit. Now, if this thread only contained advice to Google for the information it would have created an "infinite loop."

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Donahue View Post
    Hey folks. I've been running my Ridgid 6" jointer for a while now and it's finally time for new knives. I can't find the accessories that came with it though, so I don't have any wrenches or anything. Can you give me any alternatives? Is it possible to get the parts from Ridgid if another wrench won't work?

Thanks!
    As has been said, the needed wrenches are standard metric fare. Consider the wrenches that have come with other tools. Usually these "service" wrenches are somewhat inferior to standard tools. Measure the bolt heads and Allen socket size and make a note so you can use tools from your regular tool box.

I had a Rigid jointer in my shop a while back and found the knives as easy to set as any jointer with that design cutterhead.

For a method, Google: jointer knife setting video.

Hey Michael Donahue,
    If the wrench you need is 8 mm, then a 5/16" wrench is almost the same size. I can't tell the difference between my 8 mm open end wrench and my 5/16" open end wrench on my Jet knife bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post
    google "rigid 6 inch jointer parts list"

http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/D3BD143..._393_R_eng.pdf

look at items
    42 813317-6 * HEX WRENCH (L 3mm)
    And whoever posted that video on how to adjust jointer knives, THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU. You know, I read that stuff in a book but the video just makes it soo much clearer to me.
    43 821202 WRENCH BOX (M8/M10)

low and behold it is metric...
    Last edited by Mike Black Milford, MI; 12-03-2009 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Christopher View Post
    no need for smart comments...
    Thank you, daddy, I'll remember that in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    I have the RIDGID jointer. You just need a small allen wrench and an open end wrench (both metric, I believe). Can't remember the sizes, but easy to find at any hardware store).

Jason
    Thanks to all those folks who helped me find the answer. I had a PDF of the manual, not the parts list and I didn't see anything about the allen wrench. It called for a 1/2" open end wrench that I thought was too big for adjusting the knives.

Sorry if my question was so below the level of wisdom and expertise of some fellow Creekers, but no one forced any one to comment. If you don't like a question or thread, why not just ignore it

Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post
    Guys you missed the point

Wrong information was provided!!!

That is what you get with "human interaction" you get misinformation

I apologize. My intent was to answer the part of "no special tools".
    Last edited by Kyle Iwamoto; 12-03-2009 at 2:02 PM. Reason: typo

Back on the subject.

Look under the outfeed table. That is where my factory tools are stored.

Randy

Blog Entries

Smile Good Thoughts..

Thanks David, I think you're reply should be added to the welcome to SawMill Creek.... One of the reasons I read this forum instead of some of the many others is that it's generally very civil even when there is disagreements. Some forums rapidly degenerate to name calling, lambasting and flaming with almost every post!

The only thing I would add to your thoughts... It is very important to remember that not everyone has the same set of computer and Internet skills. After 25 years in software development I've moved on and I'm now a veterinarian. In my daily work, it's become quite obvious that I can't expect my clients and coworkers to formulate good Google queries. Some are better than others, some have difficulty finding anything and frequently come to me for assistance. Just as in woodworking, we come in all manners of experience, expertise and ability. It's always important to try to see the posts in the context of the poster, not your own.

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    This thread has got me thinking. There have been so many times when someone has asked a similar question and my first thought is to smack myself in the head and think how easy it would be for the poster to find the needed information by performing a simple internet search. And then I do so myself and immediately come up with the answer. Then I am tempted to "dis" the OP because he or she did not think to do this themselves. In fact, this posting seemed so "unworthy" of my time that I didn't even bother to reply to it. But then, after reading Jim's comment, pointing out that Phil's reply, while possibly not as gracious as it could have been, did in fact answer the OP's question. With that in mind, here are a few of my thoughts FWIW:

1) No one is asking anyone to give their time, energy or advice. Those who respond to posts are doing so of their own volition. There is no prerequisite to being a member of this or any other online community that obligates one to ever reply to a post.

2) I'll bet everyone on this forum has, at one time or another, asked a question that at least one other member has thought to be trivial, silly or downright dumb. And I'll also bet that everyone on this forum has, at one time or another, offered less than perfect advice.

3) I am hard pressed to find a single post to which there are not "conflicting" opinions in the replies. It would behove all of us to remember that there is rarely one "right way" to accomplish a given task. There may be "better" ways or "more efficient" ways, but even these are subjective because what is well within one person's comfort zone might easily be completely out of another's.

4) I always used to tell my employees that the one thing they could not bring into the workplace was their ego. It was OK for them to have one but they needed to "leave it at the door" when they entered the shop. I always wanted to leave room for ideas to be exchanged and ego simply interfered with that process. Many times the "old hands" were surprised by the occasional stroke of brilliance displayed by an employee of much lesser "stature". In the context of this forum, the fact that one person's suggested method is different from another's should not be seen as a challenge but simply as an alternative.

5) There is no better application of "thought #4" than in discussions about which tool is "the best". We have all heard that one man's #$%^ is another man's shoe polish and that goes double here. We tend to become "wedded" to certain brands or specific tools and human nature often discourages any willingness to hear bad words spoken about things we have already invested in. One guy loves Brand XYZ for whatever reasons. But the next guy's experience with that brand may be completely different and so will his opinion. We need to remember that these are not "axioms", they are "opinions" and opinions are always subjective. I think it is important for someone to be able to say "I think such and such a tool is a piece of crap." without having to worry about someone else hammering him even though they may completely disagree.

6) I have really enjoyed being a member of this community. Woodworking can be a isolating occupation and it is really nice to have somewhere to go to "talk shop". I think the moderators do an admirable job of keeping things civil. But even so, it's easy to get on a "high horse" without even realizing it.

7) We all need to remember that communicating by the written word alone can be extremely difficult. A comment may be read as blunt or aggressive when the writer had a smile on his face the whole time and assumed that the humor would telegraph through. This is often not the case. Trust me... I know about this one!

Peace....

Wherever the pronouns he, him or his are used, feel free to substitute her, she or hers. The lack of non-gender singular pronouns are a serious shortcoming of the English language.

Nag, nag, nag...
    I drink, therefore I am.