View Poll Results: Which Dado Set should I get?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Freud Super Dado

28 28.57%
  • Freud Dial-A-Dado

21 21.43%
  • Forrest Dado King

28 28.57%
  • Other

21 21.43%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dado Set Selection

Dado Set Selection

I'm considering upgrading my capability by getting a new Dado set. Rockler has 25% off until Friday and I've narrowed down the choices to:
    - Freud Super Dado (Value $150)
    - Freud Dial a Dado (Convenience $203)
    - Forrest Dado King (Performance? $225)

I have a Freud P410 Premiere Fusion blade and am very happy with it so I wonder if the Forrest is really worth the extra cash. I'm looking for informed advice so I came to the Creek.
    Gary

Forrest

I had an 8" Dado King for about 6-8 years for my cabinet saw. When I recently switched to a different saw with different arbor size, I bought another Dado King without hesitation.

Every review I've ever read puts the Forrest on top. The extra $75 you quote is not much over the 10 year life span of the blade.

Regards,

John

I had the Freud SD608 set a number of years ago but sold it when I went with a slider. The only reason I sold it was that it could not be bored to fit my new saw. I really liked this dado set. Each click adjusted the width by about 0.004" and it is real handy to fine tune the width without having to remove the nut and outer blade to install a shim. Be sure you check with Freud to see if it will fit your saw. If the arbor flange is too big, it won't fit. I used it on a Delta Unisaw.

You didn't mention what saw you have so regarding the Freud Dial-A-Dado, the arbor isn't long enough on many saws. I found an article somewhere that described the procedure to use to determine if your arbor is long enough, but I can't find it now. Do some digging (or googling). Also, some have had problems wit some screws on the inside that had to be replaced because they interfered with the arbor flange.

xeddog

P.S. I just purchased a Forrest Dado King. Sweet.

I voted for the Dial-a-Dado b/c thats what Id buy if I had the $$ (for the convenience).

I have the Oshlun 8'' set tho, and its worked great for me.
    Proud to Hate Michigan Athletics Since 1981

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Infinity Dadonator should really be on your short list. It has ranked at the top of several mag comparisons, is made with similar world class precision as other premium sets, but uses 6T chippers vs 4T chippers of most other top sets, and the outside cutters have a unique ATB/R design that reduces the effects of "bat ears" yet still gives tearout free exits. It's hard to do head to head comparisons because of the cost of these things, but I did compare it to my $300 Systimatic S42Fine 42T/6T set, the $100 DW7670 set, and the $85 Freud SD208...the Dadonator is clearly the better performer of these sets. Astonishing pretty well sums it up.

I'd go with the Dadonator for best performance, or the Dial-a-Width set for the convenience. I've used my fair share of top notch Forrest blades too, but I doubt very much that paying the premium for the Forrest dado set buys any more for your money.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 12-03-2009 at 2:28 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I have a Delta 3 HP Industrial Cabinet Saw. I have an additional arbor shaft that will accept a 1" dado. The flange is the same size as the Unisaw.
    I thought the Dial-A-Dado would be handy for the ever changing plywood thicknesses.
    Gary

I had to pull my dado off and re-adjust it six times today. I just logged on to do a search to see if anyone had much experience with the dial-dado from Frued because I sure was wishing I had one today.

I have been using a Delta stacked dado for many years and it does a fine job, but it's a real pain shimming it over and over again.

What are the arbor limitations on the Frued that folks have mentioned in this thread?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Drew View Post
    I had to pull my dado off and re-adjust it six times today. I just logged on to do a search to see if anyone had much experience with the dial-dado from Frued because I sure was wishing I had one today.

I have been using a Delta stacked dado for many years and it does a fine job, but it's a real pain shimming it over and over again.

What are the arbor limitations on the Frued that folks have mentioned in this thread?
    What do you mean shimming over and over? I have several sets of dados and any like the Delta set that might require a shim get numbered for future use. This allows me to get the same setup as in the past....

Mike,
    Here's a link to Freud's compatibility chart. It specifies maximum flange OD (2-1/2") and arbor length (1-3/16" for full 29/32" dado)
    http://www.freudtools.com/t-608-compatible.aspx
    Last edited by Gary Muto; 12-03-2009 at 12:11 AM. Reason: fixed link
    Gary

I have the Ridge Carbide Dado Master, and it is sweet. It is the best dado set I have used.

It is a little pricey at $189. But if you buy it from Holbrens you can get 10% off and free shipping.

Just bought a Freud super dado two months ago for $175 at Woodcraft (they are not the cheapest place are they?). It works very well. I have no complaints and am getting very flat dados, rabbets and grooves. I have also made some face frames with a slot and tenons and they fit together perfectly. The undersize plywood set up is also spot on - at least for the plywood I am buying... this month. I was really on the fence, but the Forrest would have cost me $300. At $225 for the Forrest, I say go for it. I sure would have!

Mibro Just Fine

I bought the Mibro set last year at Lowes for $49.00 and it does a very good job for me. I watch lots of woodworking programs and I notice most of theirs leave "bat wings". My dadoes are nice and flat.

Bob

Dail-a-Dado

+1 for the SD608!!! I have it and love it. I have everything set with only one adjustment. I just used it tonight and was again reminded of how nice it really is. I have a General 650 and I use it with a 3/4" stack on it. I get the nut about half way on, but it is good and tight. Some might say that you have to have thread protrusion, but I know that when I put it on it is tight.

Chuck

I have a Freud 208 .. its been okay..

If I where buying one today.. I would either get the Forrest or the Tenryu .. They are about the same $$ ..

The Freud Dial unit is interesting .. no need for shims... Not sure but I would look at it too.