Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some special exotic woods

I vote for Black Cherry of Hard Maple

2. If you can find it american chestnut. Pre wormy chestnut.
    Mark

do you have the shipper ?
    i can send you rosewood for free.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/deniirawan66

Cheers,

Deni I.

Thank you all for your help with this one. SWMBO has me in the shop around the clock working on Christmas gifts, so I haven't had too much time for this the last few days. I'm going to hit this one hard right after Christmas. I have been able to find a lot of information about my international woods, but am still searching for some countries. Korea research says pine and dogwood. Does anybody know what species of Pine and is there more than one species of dogwood? There is a lot of cherry grown in Japan, is it the same as the black cherry in the US? If there are no native trees in the Netherlands, this will be challenge. I know there is mining there (mostly coal), but I can include a soft metal like brass or aluminum, or even a soft mineral. Does anything come to mind? Maybe I could use Tulipwood. Then again maybe not. Also, from the US, I was thinking of red oak, because it symbolizes strength and stability. However redwood symbolized monumental growth. Any other thoughts about what native US woods would represent for a strong stable company?

I'm finding the hardest part about this project is that even if I come up with a good representative wood from each country, there may be little contrast in color and look in each wood, making the design for the project much more difficult. I'm hoping for some real variety in woods to make this easier. Oh well, I never make anything easy for myself!
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

According to a little research, the Korean pine is the Korean pine but is also known as a Chinese pine. They also grow in Canada and northeastern US apparently.

The dogwood tree is Korean dogwood, and there seem to be about twenty different dogwood vaieties.

As for the Japanese cherry tree, it's not the same as the American cherry. There are several locations in the US where they grow... check "cherry blossom" on wikipedia.

I like redwood for the American representative... actually Redwood burl would be better. It's beautiful.

Brian,

Higly figured curly maple gets my vote for the U.S. representive.

For ancient Kauri, Alby Hall in NZ works with it a lot.

http://www.ancientkauri.co.nz/index....l_kauri_artist

He's a good guy and I'm sure he would be willing to ship you a small piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Brown View Post
    Also, from the US, I was thinking of red oak, because it symbolizes strength and stability. . . Oh well, I never make anything easy for myself!

Red Oak? Actually symbolizes the American dream of being obstinate, contrary, and hard to work with, and when rubbed the wrong way liable to leave a splinter you'll remember for a long time. . .

Sorry, just one of my prejudices. I don't like working with Red Oak. I have to work with it pretty often, but never liked it.

Tiger Maple gets my vote for the USA.
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Evans View Post
    Red Oak? Actually symbolizes the American dream of being obstinate, contrary, and hard to work with, and when rubbed the wrong way liable to leave a splinter you'll remember for a long time. . .
    Ahhhh.... someone who thinks the same about red oak that I do. I have some nice tiger maple, and I can certainly get the same strength and stability symbolism from maple. It is definitely a contender.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Wood info

This site will give you wood info from all over the world. Names-scientific and local, mechanical properties, colors etc.

http://www2.fpl.fs.fed.us/

I agree with the bamboo for China or Japan. What sizes of wood are you looking for? I am a pen turner and I have many woods from around the world, mostly in 3/4 x 3/4 x 5 size.

Regards, Steve

PS Having made bamboo rods I also have a large quantity of arundinaria amabilis.

Great idea Brian - good luck and I'm looking forward to seeing the final product. I have a niece getting married next June and I was thinking about making her something from wood native to Ohio - not quite the challenge you are taking on - Good Luck!