Thread: Air filter

Air filter

I'm looking to buy an air filter for the shop. I looked at the jet 1000b
    I think that's the correct number it has three speeds and such. I was wondering what you guys would recommend. Thanks
    Last edited by Steve Hayes; 12-03-2009 at 9:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hayes View Post
    I think that's the correct number it has three speeds and such. I was wondering what you guys would recommend. Thanks
    Steve, I've got an AFS-1000B, and it's great for getting the fine stuff out of the air...but it's not great for a large area. I've got it in an 8x12 workshop at work, and it'll clean up the dust from blowing out a router, or sander in about a minute and a half. When I had it in the big shop(20x30) you really couldn't tell it was there.
    Mickey

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hayes View Post
    Spend a little more and go with the JDS system. You won't regret it.

Blog Entries
    JDS-750 tests better than others in every review I've seen that include it. Dad got one based on this and it does well in his 3 car garage/shop but is probably at the limit of its ability. If you are in a 20 x 30 or smaller I think you would be very happy with it.

He came up with a bit of a trick for the remote. It doesn't like to shoot around corners so he put a small piece of mirror up on the wall aimed at the JDS. He shoots the remote at that from almost anywhere in the shop and the unit responds.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Steve - I recently bought the AFS100b and I'm very happy with it. I tend to leave it on low or med when I'm working, then move it to high speed on the timer when I leave. I have a small shop (15x17), and IMO it does a good job.

You should also look at the JDS 750ER. It got very good reviews. I was going to go with the JDS because it outscored the JET unit in a review in a mag (don't recall whcih one), but I researched and found that after that test, JET implemented a small design change to eliminate the 'blowby' that was getting past the filters. Subsequent testing proved it to be better than before, and IMO the 2 would be comparable. I went with the Jet because of a deal at Amazon - without that, I probably would have gone with the JDS.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.