Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Always Follow the Rules

Always Follow the Rules

I before E, except after C. Weird, huh?

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

HaHAHaHahA!!! Love it!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Rules...

Not me, don't like them! I usually break them! I can't follow a recipe...I always think this/that would be great to add. I do go the speed limit, and I don't break the law and all that jazz

Phyllis

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    That is a deceiving rule to say the least. I have to admit that I tend to hit the ceiling when people use that rule as gospel. However I know that in the literate community it is well received by all who hear it as being an acceptable way to help with spelling.

BTW, acknowledgment of my post constitutes receipt of the aforementioned!

I'm going to hell for sure!
    Last edited by Guy Mathews; 12-03-2009 at 1:06 PM.
    Thinking outside the box is one thing, being able to accomplish what you think of, is another.

Software Rhino 3.0 & 4.0, Corel 12, Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, Parts Wizard, Visual Mill 5.0 & 6.0, Rhino CAM/Art, Claytools, Microsoft Word, Notepad.
    Access to Hardware CAMaster 510 ATC w/4th Axis 8' Lathe, Kitako 10 Spindle CNC 4th Axis Carving Machine, Polhemus FastScan and LDI Surveyor 3500 Laser Scanners, Sensable Haptics.

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    Except after C? What a weird society!
    "It's Not About You."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    Except after C? What a weird society!
    I am sure that all of the people on this forum that are named Keith, Neil and Sheila will disagree with the rule! My neighbors do. So do the words listed here.

beige
    feint
    feisty
    foreign
    forfeit
    heifer
    height
    heir
    heist
    reign
    rein
    seismometer
    their
    veil
    vein
    weigh

There are a few others, but I have to bet back to work!!!!

Too much fun!
    Thinking outside the box is one thing, being able to accomplish what you think of, is another.

Software Rhino 3.0 & 4.0, Corel 12, Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, Parts Wizard, Visual Mill 5.0 & 6.0, Rhino CAM/Art, Claytools, Microsoft Word, Notepad.
    Access to Hardware CAMaster 510 ATC w/4th Axis 8' Lathe, Kitako 10 Spindle CNC 4th Axis Carving Machine, Polhemus FastScan and LDI Surveyor 3500 Laser Scanners, Sensable Haptics.

The accurate rule is: "i before e, except when it isn't"
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

Rules is rules, except when they isn't!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post
    Rules is rules, except when they isn't!
    So very true, Bill, so very true!

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

Thanks for the smile, Belinda.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

AHEM! "except when pronounced a as in neighbor and weigh"...that finishes the original saying. My high school journalism teacher all but beat correct grammar into all of us...way back in the middle of the last century

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Newby View Post
    AHEM! "except when pronounced a as in neighbor and weigh"...that finishes the original saying. My high school journalism teacher all but beat correct grammar into all of us...way back in the middle of the last century
    Sorry Roger, weird is still an exception to the rule.
    Unless I've been pronouncing weird incorrectly all these years, which is a distinct possibility.

Bella Terra

I agree with you Belinda, just making a statement about "grammatical rules"
    When you learn another language you find out just how difficult the alleged English language actually is. I could write for a long time about all of the flaws in grammar and then when you add in the local dialectic characteristics by region and so on it turns into a big bucket of worms. We should just enjoy the oddities of the so called mother tongue and stumble on.

Americans discussing English..................Sheeesh

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Roger Newby;1274387 When you learn another language you find out just how difficult the alleged English language actually is. .[/QUOTE]
    I am amazed that any foreigner can learn our language. Take the "ough",for instance, and try to apply any kind of logic as to how it is pronounced:
    "ough" as in
    rough
    cough
    through
    though