Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trend airshield. Anyhing better?

Trend airshield. Anyhing better?

Per Dr's orders I need to purchase a full shield with fitration. The only one I know of is Trend. They have the standard and the pro but is there anything better?

That depends on your budget. The 3M Airstream 400 is much better, but somewhere around 3 times the price, too. I have the original Trend, and if I had to do it over again, I would spend the money and get the 3M.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

I have the Trend Pro. It does a good job, but does not filter the small particles like the 3M AS400. When (not if) I do it over again, I will be getting the 3M. If you are under doctor's instructions at this point, you shouldn't mess around with anything other than the best filter you can get ... which right now means the AS400 or something equivalent.

If you decide on the Trend Airshield Pro, check out Sears.com as they did have it on sale for $299, best price I have seen.

What do those you with a beard wear? I can't get a very good seal with a regular dust mask.
    Last edited by Greg Just; 12-03-2009 at 10:34 PM. Reason: typo

A dust mask won't get a good seal whether or not you have a beard.

The Trend, or any of the other powered-helmet systems, should work fine with a beard. They don't need a good seal there as that's where the air is blowing out anyway. Pressurize the helmet and you don't need a tight seal.

I have a Trend, have used it for a number of years now and will be upgrading sometime in the near future. The Trend works but when you can smell the wood while you are turning it - you have to wonder what else is getting through! I don't feel like I am breathing wood dust but something is getting through when I can smell it.

The Airstream AS 400 is and has been the top of the line for a number of years now - there must be a reason! If I had doctor's orders to get some form of breathing protection - I would not even consider anything else! It is your health you're talking about here! Do some research and find what will work for you!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

My advice is to see if you can try on as many of the different models and makes as you can find - before you buy.

I've had the Triton system, which was fairly comfortable, but didn't have enough airflow. The other problem is that the filters weren't as good as the Trend.

I bought the Trend Airshield Pro, and while it's airflow and filtration are much better, I haven't gotten a good fit yet. The detents in the hinge are sloppy, and allow the shield to pivot down on my glasses. And as far as I know, there's not much of a fix for that, unless I engineer something myself. Some of the fellows here have had the same problem, but have been successful in re-adjusting the helmet til it fit better. I replaced a stripped pivot screw, but it only helped a little bit.

I have not tried the 3M, but by all accounts it's the best, but Great GooglY MOOOGLY, look at the PRICE! Guess it's cheaper than a visit to the Hospital or a new lung though, eh?

I have both the Trend AirShield Pro and a 3M Breathe Easy with a helmet and belt pack/blower/battery/filters.

I wanted to like the Triton... but I could not stand the distortion that the visor created. I tried on 6 of them, all suffered the same issue. I'm rather picky about this... with visors and motorcycle helmets. Compound curves are tough to get optically correct, and Triton missed the mark on the units I tried.

I bought the AirShield from ToolNut.com. A few months later, I found a great deal on the 3M from a local Craigslist seller... new in the boxes...I couldn't pass it up (less than 1/3 of the retail price).

I like them both.

The Trend is a single piece, and once you get the right fit, it's a one hand pop-it-onto-my-head operation, so I reach for that whenever I need a faceshield.

If I'm going to spend more than a few minutes at the lathe, I go for the 3M. Although it takes a moment to put on the belt pack and connect it to the helmet, the helmet is rather lightweight, and very comfortable.

It's also nice to know that I can buy organic filters ($$) for the 3M in case I ever want to spray nasty lacquer and such.

Oh, and I have the earmuffs for each of the rigs, I like them.

Photo of the 3M hanging on the wall click here
    Photo of the Trend click here

I'll try to make side by side photos soon

I hope this helps a bit.
    Last edited by Alan Zenreich; 12-04-2009 at 12:19 AM.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

I use a Powercap very light and comfortable and I preferred this against the trend helmet both of which was being demoed at at a woodworkers show, it comes with a 8 hour rechargeable battery pack which fits in your pocket or clips on your belt,it also comes with a air flow meter for testing the filters are good before use, and when not in use it fits back in the plastic air tight storage container supplied, which keeps it free from dust before using again.

Info on this and other helmets.http://www.jsp.co.uk/ViewCategory.as...7-bae0802b4227
    David

David after living overseas for 5 yrs. would those chargers work in the US? Just curious because I know that most of the stuff my wife and I bought while overseas would not work in the US. Just curious as it looks like a nice outfit.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Powercap Transformers

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    David after living overseas for 5 yrs. would those chargers work in the US? Just curious because I know that most of the stuff my wife and I bought while overseas would not work in the US. Just curious as it looks like a nice outfit.
    Hi Bernie, After looking at all the info that came with mine it would suggest they do different AC mains adapters for different parts of the world.

UK transformer version. Input : AC 240V-50Hz.

Output: DC 6V-350mA 2.1VA

As these transformers are only AC adapters charging the battery pack, I would have thought if the manufacturer does not supply a version for the USA, a standard US Transformer adaptor that matched the Output as stated above would be suitable for recharging the 8hr battery pack.

I have in the past purchased rechargeable items from your side of the pond and change the AC adaptor to a UK version and they all work, obviously mains appliances wont work unless stated they do by the manufacturer.
    David

trend airshield

I have a trend airshield and it does a good job.

Steve: Any chance that your health insurance would pick up any or all of the tab since this is under Doctors Orders? Also consider where else you may need to use this, I have seen folks wearing resperators cutting grass among other things. You may want to talk to a respiratory theropist and your doctor again to get the best posssible protection.

My Triton is back in service after the battery pack went south. HTC sent me a new one and the flow is back where it used to be. If anyone is having flow problems with a Triton, the first place I'd look is to the battery pack. If you leave the charger on for more that 72 hours or so, the battery pack will die a slow death. It took nearly 5 years for mine to give up and when it began to fail to keep the flow meter ball in the circle, no amount of charging would get it to recover.

I've not had a problem with distortion of the face shield.

Steve,
    Do you have the Pro model Trend or the regular, with regards to smelling the wood?
    I sold my older model to a buddy, and recently purchassed the Pro model. I have not noticed any odor as of yet. I am new to Sawmill and have so many questions to ask the forum. I don't know how..... Also, I saw some of your turnings. I am very impressed and am inspired with what I saw.
    Thank you.
    Michael Ginsberg