Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plywood storage ideas??

Plywood storage ideas??

My shop is tiny and I've tried any number of ways to store full 4x8 sheets of plywood, but nothing has worked for me. I tried a mobile cart, but it took up too much floor space. I've tried leaning sheets against the wall, but they always end up in my way.

Anybody have suggestions on how to store plywood up against the ceiling? Maybe some type of hoist system that I could fasten to the ceiling joists?

Jason

In my old shop (LOTS of space) we had a plywood table. Basically, a table made OF plywood FOR plywood. Yeah, I know it takes up 32 square feet, but think of it as an assembly table...

I'm building one for my shop next week...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Jason,

I have a garage shop that is not exclusively a workshop, so my space is also limited. I just finished this rack that pivots away from the wall and it is working great for me -- for both full sheets and cutoffs:

http://www.rd.com/18207/article18207.html#two

Zayd

How many full sheets do you typically have around at one time?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

5. Also, how high is your ceiling..

Granted you COULD build a loft and shove sheets up onto it, but it'll take up that floor space under it to ensure you can safely get them down. Also need at least 2x6's to support them.

You could go with a power lift or ratchet based lift.. Both are doable. But it all depends on what you're working with..

So...

1) How many sheets at a time.
    2) How high is your ceiling.
    3) Is there space above the ceiling joists that could be used?

Might do something like this?

No clue on the specs though.

That looks great!

But I don't have enough floor space even for that.

Quote Originally Posted by zayd alle View Post
    Jason,

I have a garage shop that is not exclusively a workshop, so my space is also limited. I just finished this rack that pivots away from the wall and it is working great for me -- for both full sheets and cutoffs:

http://www.rd.com/18207/article18207.html#two

Zayd

2 or 3, plus a few scraps.

A loft is not really doable.

I have about 8' of ceiling height and open ceiling joists. That hoist might work, but it doesn't look big enough.

Anybody here actually try one of these for lumber/plywood?

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    How many full sheets do you typically have around at one time?
    Last edited by Jason White; 12-05-2009 at 6:19 AM.

Well, if that rolling cart thing is too much of a footprint, my idea was TOTALLY useless. My point was to use your plywood rack/table as your workbench...but I think that won't work for you.

As for lifting them up to the ceiling, I'd be a little concerned about the load you are putting on your joists. Unless these are pretty HD joists. Also, if they are rafters, you may be lowering your "snow" load of your roof.

No, I didn't look at your location before thinking of that... you probably live in Florida and don't get snow....
    I drink, therefore I am.

I could always beef up the joists.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Well, if that rolling cart thing is too much of a footprint, my idea was TOTALLY useless. My point was to use your plywood rack/table as your workbench...but I think that won't work for you.

As for lifting them up to the ceiling, I'd be a little concerned about the load you are putting on your joists. Unless these are pretty HD joists. Also, if they are rafters, you may be lowering your "snow" load of your roof.

No, I didn't look at your location before thinking of that... you probably live in Florida and don't get snow....

How much vertical room do you have above the joists? I saw a home show once where they used a garage door opener as a lifting mechanism. Could you place them on edge ( the 8 ft long edge) into a carrier and then pull them up into the space above the ceiling joists? You would need 4 ft of space above the joists in order to get them fully above the joists and an 8 ft long opening where nothing was running between the joists.

My other thought would be to make a swing down frame like this:
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/kefjens/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]

The hinge is mounted to the ceiling and uses a pulley system to swing the mechanism to the ceiling.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by keith jensen; 12-05-2009 at 8:19 AM.

Was thinking of something like that myself.

Great idea. Thanks for the drawing!

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by keith jensen View Post
    How much vertical room do you have above the joists? I saw a home show once where they used a garage door opener as a lifting mechanism. Could you place them on edge ( the 8 ft long edge) into a carrier and then pull them up into the space above the ceiling joists? You would need 4 ft of space above the joists in order to get them fully above the joists and an 8 ft long opening where nothing was running between the joists.

My other thought would be to make a swing down frame like this:
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/kefjens/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]

The hinge is mounted to the ceiling and uses a pulley system to swing the mechanism to the ceiling.

I think that swing-down frame is a fantastic idea. Even a few sheets will get pretty heavy, so you'll need some sort of winch or motor - and some seriously strong hinges - to make it work.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Something like this adapted for sheet goods would be really cool: http://panofish.net/garage-trailer-lift/

Keith, that's a very crude drawing. Don't you think you could have spent a little more time? Maybe with some measurements...showing better jointery...just HOW the locking mechanism is supposed to work...a spool or winch at the end of the cable to show HOW he's supposed to raise and lower the contraption?

Common. If you guys are going to try to help someone out, commit!

I envy you guys that whip these little drawings up on the computer. I know, I know, its just some software. I'm still old school in this respect...still a pencil, ruler, and paper kind of guy. Nicely done, Keith. Very easy to picture what you had in mind...and a great idea, too.
    Last edited by Mike Cruz; 12-05-2009 at 10:41 AM.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Haha it's always easy to offer advice.

Yeah, I was thinking about firing up SolidWorks and modeling it out....checking out the strength with FEA in CosmosWorks but it turns out I don't even have time to do my own projects around here!

I thought the hinged idea would work well due to the stability of the the platform. The four post cable idea works well for some things but is inherently more unstable since it has more degrees of freedom for moments to react. Loading the sheets on the dangling cable platform would be tough. You'd have to lower it to the floor to stabilize it. You also have to get the timing just right so the platform lifts level.

I also wonder if it would be easier to have it hinged on the 8ft side or the 4 ft side? The moment arm is much shorter meaning you have less weight to lift. The problem is you have to lift the sheet goods 4ft off the ground to get it in the slot. I think that HF winch would be great for this application though no matter which way you went.

For the locking mechanism, I think I would just use some cables with carabiners and some big eye bolts. Simpler is better.

Some general calculations on strength would be prudent once a design is worked up. Would hate to hear about the thing falling from the ceiling onto the family minivan or worse!! (I have a family minivan and know what a loss that would be!!)

I keep getting interrupted by the little ones...sorry if the reply is hard to read!