Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grandson's new cradle

Grandson's new cradle

Good morning all! This project was started less than a week ago and I should have had it finished already! Our daughter is due any day now and I was busy with other things that the cradle and a small storage cabinet for thier kitchen got pushed off until now! So anyway here is a few pictures of the cradle so far, I did some carving on the ends and have to go out and get started on the stand this morning before we head out for a 3 hour drive to my wifes cousins wedding in Duluth MN.

Here are the pics, let me know what you think,

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Jeff, that is really some neat work! No surprise though, from a guy that produces the round artistry that you do. You did a great job on the carving, and choosing oak as the medium sure raised the bar! Not quite the easiest wood in which to carve!

Looks like it is coming together well. The sides and ends appear to be glued up panels. I am sure you have considered this, but do you feel there is any concern on wood movement with having them affixed to the corner posts?

Nice looking cradle, and bring your mittens if you are coming to Duluth!! It has been rather chilly here lately.

Great beginning and couldn't agree more about carving in oak. Carving is not a piece of cake for most of us and carving in oak doesn't further the cause.

Post when finished...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Very nice! I built one for my daughter’s first child that between my two daughters has had 4 grand-kids through it. It was a very enjoyable project but I wasn’t nearly as fast as you!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

An early congrats on your grandson Jeff.

Looks like he is going to have one fine home....
    Make sure to give us a pic when it's all done.

Thanks all for the comments!

I have been doing wood working for my whole life in one way or another and I always would carve something on most things I built. I seem to have a strong love for red oak and carving it was always the thing to do! I also have a few thousand bdft in my shed and drying under cover from the woodmizer mill, so it is almost free for me to use!

It was 4 degrees with a -6 windchill this morning when we got up to come home to Eau Claire, I am glad I had the heavy gloves and stocking cap when I put gas in the car! But for some dumb reason I set them on the trunk of the car when I was putting the checkcard back in my wallet and drove off and left them there! Some one will get a nice pair of leather insulated gloves!

I have the stain on it right now and it looks very nice, I used an "Ipswich Pine" stain as our daughter wanted to be medium in darkness. I will post some more pic's tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

More pictures of cradle and cabinet

Here are a few more pictures of the cradle with some stain on it and the little cabinet that goes with it for holding baby stuff. I almost have the stand done, but got tuckered out! 4 drawers and a little slide out shelf that she wanted on the top, nothing fancy on the cabinet.

No grand baby yet so I have a little time, any day now whe wants him to be out soon though!

Jeff

Jeff, that stain really brought out the grain of the oak - looks great! The cabinet/chest of drawers looks neat, too. Very functional for the intended use.

If all goes well, you will have the cradle and cabinet delivered just as your grandchild is coming home from the hospital!

Great design at cradle ends

Hi Jeff,

I must admit that you created a very nice design for the ends of the cradle. The curved top rail just makes you want to hold it like a handle and rock it. The design succeeds in offering an invitation to the person looking at the piece.

Congratulations on being soon to be grandparents. Before I looked close at the photos I almost imagined a Luther seal or a five petal rose in round area. A few Lutherans live up that way. Great job on the carving. It seems that carving oak is much easier when it hasn't fully dried.

Thanks for posting your project,
    Jim
    http://www.chairsbypaulson.com

The cradle is really looking good Jeff.

You are one lucky dog on the delivery time though.
    Both our grandchildren were a few days early.
    Hope you get those couple extra days to "get er done"....

Keep us posted.

Here is the finished product!

Well all, I finally put it all together this morning and it swings real smooth on bronze bushings. I need to get it out of the shop now as it is taking up lots of room. We may run it up to her today so she will have it ready. My wife is on the phone with our daughter right now, we were hoping it was time! He is a stubborn little guy and does not want to come out to the freezing cold we are having.

Here are some pictures,

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Nicol View Post
    He is a stubborn little guy and does not want to come out to the freezing cold we are having.
    Can you blame him?

That's a beautiful cradle. I don't want to say this too loud, but you do good flatwork. And congratulations on the new grandson.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Very nice work Jeff! Hope your grandson decides to join us soon!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Excellent result! I really like the wheat carvings on the uprights. Color and finish came out great!