Thread: Artists' paint cabinet

Artists' paint cabinet

My sister is the artist. She's been asking for a cabinet to store her oil paints. So, here's what I came up with.
    Made from 100 year old, reclaimed pine. Bottoms of drawers are grooved with a router bowl cutter bit to keep the tubes from rolling around.
    Finish is Tung oil.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Myk, that is a really neat project, and I am sure your sister will appreciate the thought and effort put into building it. Good plan with the bowl bit!

That pine sure has some beautiful character, and the tung oil really brought out the color. Nice work!

Myk, well executed ! I like it.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Well done Myk.
    I'm sure your sister is going to get a ton of use out of it..

Nice job Myk, I too have an artist sister. What are your dimensions??
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

very nice

+1 on dimentions. My wife was looking over my shoulder when I opened the post, so now she would like something like that.
    Matt Newton
    IAFF Local 2664

non illigitimi carborundum

Thanks for the comments all.
    It was one of those projects where you have no plans, and cut as you go, as most of mine are.

The chest size is 16.5"w x 8"t x 7.5"d and the drawers are 15.5" x 6.5". Top 2 are 1.75" and the bottom is 2". The drawer bottoms are .5" thick so I could rout the grooves in them.

The lumber is from the old Detroit Elevator building on Franklin street, downtown Detroit. Our son is the contractor for the rehab project and asked if I would like some of this old wood. I hooked up the trailer and went on down. Made 3 trips to bring back several hundred bf of it. Tons of nails and spikes in it that I had to remove. Also got some 2" square nails to save. Much of the wood is 2x6, but there are a lot of 2x12s in the pile. Some of it was 20 ft long so we had to cut it in half for me to get it on the trailer.

Another fun project.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Excellent design for the intended purpose. I have to agee with J.K. on the character of that particular pine. The whole thing works...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler