Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Becoming ambidextrous

Becoming ambidextrous

Any tips on becoming ambidextrous, at this point specifically in between-center turning?? My brain seems to freeze when I try to reverse direction. Data: I'm very right-handed.

Thanks.

Just get some practice wood and keep practicing. You WILL catch on before too long. I don't think there are really any shortcuts though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Baker View Post
    You WILL catch on before too long.
    The "catch" part has been pretty easy. I don't remember having all that much of a problem during my 2-day class. Now that I'm home, >a month later, it seems tricky.

I'll go out tonight and cut up some friendlier practice wood.

As Ryan said, simply a matter of repetition to reprogram neural pathways and muscle memory. And as mentioned elsewhere and when, much easier for "lefties" who have already had a lifetime of adapting to a "righty" world. It takes a LOT of repetition for some of us, but eventually you will switch without noticing it.
    Richard in Wimberley

Actually, when you stop and think about it, it isn't your hands that are making the tool cut, it is you body. You hold the tool steady with your arms and hands, which are tucked in to your body which holds them still and steady, and your body moves, which moves the tool. The only thing you control right or left handed is tool angle. This is more so on straight cylinders, and a bit less so with turning beads and coves.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Actually, when you stop and think about it, it isn't your hands that are making the tool cut, it is you body.
    robo hippy
    Good point, Reed, and one that tends to slip my mind. Must be time for a Raffan DVD session.

For the most part, do you righties keep the tool in the same hand, and just change the angle and direction? That comes fairly easy with the spindle gouge, but I keep thinking I need to change hands with the skew, yet that doesn't feel right either!

Last night in the shop was a blast, eveything flowed. Tonight, not so much, quite the opposite in fact. Time for zzzzzz's

Jamie,

There will be days like that...some good...some not as good. but...with experience the ratio of better to good will go up dramatically.

Initially I as a rightie, I just flipped the tool over and went the other direction when using a skew. The problem is that close to the headstock I would run out of room trying to turn towards the tailstock.

Now I swap hands .....the tool goes in the other hand. I have to make a conscious effort to remember to ride the bevel. This holds true regardless of which tool I'm using.

Hang tough. Mileage will provide you with the answers you need.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

As previously posted, practice is the ticket. My suggestion is to use fresh cut hardwood branches (2" - 3" diameter), mount the whole thing and have fun with it. Try to relax and just peel the wood off. Getting tensed up over a tricky cut will almost guarantee a catch.

I agree with Dennis - Practice! Once in awhile I will stand on the backside of the lathe to work the inside of a bowl, especially on dry wood.

Jamie - I 100% agree with Reed on this!

I am right handed - extremely so - and had to figure out a way to be able to use the tools left-handed. I struggled with control until I remembered to quit using my arms and start using my whole body for tool control. Now I change hands and lock to tool to my body before starting a cut. Left handed is not as fast as cutting right - but it gets better each time I do it and I no longer try to cut everything right handed!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks, everybody, having a chorus of "You can do it!" gives me a boost! Wine stoppers will arrive Monday or Tuesday, and it's practice, practice until then.

I'm naturally ambidextrous, but I do have some differences between how I hold tools when doing things right versus left handed. I find that forcing myself to do it left handed for a while until it feels natural, then right handed until it feels natural, then switching back and forth gives me the most consistent results. Switching back and forth from the get-go seems to interfere with developing the muscle memory.

Jamie practice is the key and Reed is right. I had a hard time for about a month when I started but the key is body control not hand control.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    Jamie practice is the key and Reed is right. I had a hard time for about a month when I started but the key is body control not hand control.
    I have to agree with Bernie. Practice Practice Practice with body movement.
    I too was VERY VERY right handed. Then I started being mentored by a lefty. Now I can switch back & forth moving my body like a dance.
    Keep at it it will come to you and is well worth the time & effort to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Straw View Post
    Any tips on becoming ambidextrous, at this point specifically in between-center turning?? My brain seems to freeze when I try to reverse direction. Data: I'm very right-handed.

Thanks.
    Now, many will probably tell you that you can do pretty much anything as a right hander, that may be true for some.
    Remember this joke?:
    A passerby asks a guitar playing guy in the streets of NY, "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?"
    The reply; "Practice, man, PRACTICE."

Sadly, that's what it takes... I'm on the other end of the spectrum, VERY left handed. It took me a while to accomplish ANYTHING on the lathe with my right hand. At this point, some things now seem awkward left handed.
    Change One Thing