Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good "all-around" bandsaw blade?

Good "all-around" bandsaw blade?

What's a good all-purpose blade for my 14" bandsaw? I use it for everything from chopping up scraps for the burn pile to cutting slight curves to light re-sawing.

I've got a 3/8" 4-tooth blade on there currently. Anybody got a better recommendation? I just HATE changing blades!!

Jason

Good Blades

For the money, you can't beat Timber Wolf saw blades. I have been using them for years with excellent results. (http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/).
    Don't try to e-mail them, just use their 800 number and order direct from them. Just tell them what kind of saw you have and they will help you pick the right one for your saw.
    Happy sawdust!
    Ron In Clanton, Alabama

Shoot amongst us boy, one of us has got to have some relief!

If it's doing what you want adequately then it's the rignt blade. Dick B.
    Gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC -->
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

My all-purpose blade is a 1/2in 3-tpi. Works wonders.

1/4" Olsen.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    What's a good all-purpose blade for my 14" bandsaw? I use it for everything from chopping up scraps for the burn pile to cutting slight curves to light re-sawing.

I've got a 3/8" 4-tooth blade on there currently. Anybody got a better recommendation? I just HATE changing blades!!
    Jason, Timberwolf recommended a 3/8" 6 tpi to me for general purpose use, said it was the blade they sell the most. (That was for a 17" saw, post here, but I don't see why that would matter.) Obviously, the best # of teeth for you is going to depend on the stock you cut.

I realize you're asking what actually works best for folks, but my saw hasn't arrived yet, so you'll need other responses for that.

Jason:

I run a 1/2" 3tpi blade on my 14" Delta and rarely change to another size, that includes resawing, if I was going to cut a bunch of tight curves I would switch over to a 1/4" 6tpi blade.

I also run Timberwolf blades.

Mike

Highland Hardware's Wood Slicer

I recommend and use the wood slicer from Highland Hardware. About $35 and is 1/2 inch 3 tpi. Unless you do scroll work on the band saw this blade will just about do everything I've ever asked for it to tackle. It also does not wear out like Craftsman blades will. I used one blade for over 2 years and the new one ( bought last year ) seems like it will give me good service too.

My bandsaw is a Craftsman 12 inch like Mike Ducheski has in his great videos. I sure wish I had a Delta cast iron table on it though but I've had the Craftsman for over 15 years. Still works great.

Happy Shavings and Holidays!

Band Saw blade.

I agree with the Wood Slicer recommendation. 80 four inch tall by 48 inch long resaws of white oak, plus two more years of general use, and it is still going strong.

1/2" 3 tpi on a 14" can rip, resaw and cut curves... just no tight curves.

Olson bi metal are cheap and last a long time
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Jason, as this thread goes on you'll find that every blade ever made is a "good, all-around blade". Since everyone agrees that changing blades is a PIA the obvious choice for "good all-around blade" would be the blade you got in there now. And you'd be as well off. Splitting all the differences in common band saw blades' geometry, you'd be looking for a blade with one tooth per blade width and a median thickness of .028". I like the TW 1/2-2TPI personally because it eats trees without getting into high-tension frames. Results may vary.

I'm not gonna get into recommending brands because everyone has their favorite and "it's served me well for xxx years" or whatever. But, for an all-around blade on a 14" BS, a 3/8", 3-tpi is ideal, IMHO. You won't get a fine cut when scrolling with it but it will resaw lumber or small logs just fine.

But, just remember that there are always compromises, no matter which brand or type you use. One saw blade just will not do everything well.

If you use the same size blade (1/4, 3/8, 1/2, etc.) but vary the tooth configuration, changing blades is not a big hassle to me. You only have to remove the one that's on the saw and replace it with another tooth type...no messing with the guides or thrust bearing is necessary. It takes me about 3 minutes on my GO513.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer View Post
    Olson bi metal are cheap and last a long time
    1/4", 6tpi, hook pattern. 0.025 bi-metal is what lives on my saw. Been there for over six years now. I have other blades, but haven't had to use them. Maybe one day this thing will wear out.

" Since everyone agrees that changing blades is a PIA--" Not everyone. I can change mine in about 2 minutes and I'm back in buisness. I don't mind because the results are worth it right now.