Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interior door build, FINALLY FINISHED

Jim, Marshall, Bruce, Vince, Dan, and Bob, thank you for your nice comments. I appreciate them.

Sam

Nice door Sam.

Beautiful door!! Wow.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very impressive door Sam.

Bob, Jim, and Rob, thank you for your comments, I appreciate them.

Sam

Sam,

That is a beautiful door! I looked for your construction thread and noticed that you made an I-beam for gluing the lam. stiles and rails. Could you give me an idea of how you made your beam?

thanks!

Hi Jason, thank you on the door.

I made the I-beam out of a 4' X 8' sheet of 3/4" baltic birch or apply birch (the 4 X 8 version). I cut 4 strips 8 1/2" wide, and divided the remaining plywood in half and cut it into two strips. Then I dadoed two strips and glued and screwed the two smaller strips into the dado's. Then I glued and screwed the two remaining 8 1/2" wide strips on top. I joined the finished I-beam to ensure flatness (make sure screws are countersunk). I apply water base poly and it is done.

When you glue the two smaller strips into the dado's, the spacing is not critical the further apart the better. Just make sure there is enough room to apply clamps. The I-beam works great in gluing up a lot of different things. It keeps things flat and gives a good surface to clamp to. I have a bunch of 2X2 maple blocks I use to go across my glue up.

If you have any further questions, let me know.

Sam
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice

as always. Your work sends me right back to the shop to practice.

Sam,

Thanks for your time, I appreciate the pictures and description. I know a woodworker who has a press made from steel i-beams and hydraulic jacks for gluing up rails and stiles, but the steel isn't that straight...your idea is great and ensures straight stiles.

I haven't built any doors before, but in a month or two I am about to embark on my first adventure, 22 doors....oh boy. If you have any advice that you wish you would have had before you started your first door, or any idea you feel made a significant difference in the process, I would love to hear about it.

Again, thanks for your time, your work spreaks for itself.

Jason

OK, Here's the deal...

I went to Sam's house today and checked out the door. Believe me....it is much better in person than the pictures show. This door is as nice as ANY I have seen in high class joints, and it will outlast us all. Unless someone slams that sucker and knocks the walls down, man is it heavy, sitting on three ball bearing hinges.

Here is the untold story...Sam has been working on this house remodel for over SEVEN YEARS. He has had a lot of paid help, but he has done as much of it as he could, including wiring the whole house over. He and his much suffering bride lived in their travel trailer for several years while working on the completely gutted house. As of today, they still don't have a kitchen, but it's coming up fast, the cabinets are next. By the way, the cabinet in the bathroom was his first, and it is as nice as the door.

All his wife asked for was to finish ONE room before doing the rest of the doors, and you are looking at it. That is why he didn't build several doors at once. It's been so long since she cooked that all she can remember how to make is reservations.

OK, Sam, I didn't tell them some of the more sordid details, you can let me down now.

Rick Potter

Garth, Jason, and Rick, thank you all for your complements. As Rick said, I have been working on the house for a while. It is so nice to have the skill saw, hammer, and nails put away, and finally working in the shop building the things I enjoy doing. Thank you guys again.

Jason, I sent you a pm.

Rick, Rick and I have been friends for many, many years. After we both retired we would enjoy a couple 3 hour lunches a week. When the houses started that came to a screeching halt.

One thing Rick failed to mention, is that he and his wife have no kitchen, nor any heat in the kitchen area. Rick just added an east wing to his house. He is building bathroom vanities as we speak. Plus, he is doing a major remodel to the rest of his house. His remodel has been going on for years as well.

Just for the record, my wife does cook. We have a stove, frig, and a sink in the garage, works great...

Rick and I, and our wives has a nice lunch yesterday. Rick and I spend a nice day in the shop.

Sam

All I can say is wow! Making some custom doors for my house is a dream of mine that I'm not quite ready to do (Wife says I have to put on a new roof first)

From reading the other posts I understand you had a thread about constructing the door. I looked for it but could not find it. Could you tell me what to look up so I could read it.

Beautiful work!

Hi Keith, Thanks for the complement. Look on this section, woodworking projects, on page 6. The title is, Interior door build. The roof will keep you busy for a while.

Thanks again, Sam