Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Took a Plunge into 360 Degree laser Scanning- Improved Setup

Took a Plunge into 360 Degree laser Scanning- Improved Setup

Further improvements were carried out in my laser scanning setup... Now i calibrate once for REFERENCE scanning and after this i no need calibration panel..My setup is portable now..Means I just have one calibration perform at my home and can move it any where and start scanning..

A big advantage you can scan big objects and then merge all the scan.. Following is the 360 degree scan of Deer...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Outstanding!!!!

Khalid,

Fantastic work. You may want to invest in the high resolution software so you can output these files.

Because of our Polhemus and our LDI scanners, I do not have the need for the Davids Laser Scanner, however, I think that when I finish my CNC Project, I might have to tackle building the David Scanner. The software alone seems like it is well worth the price of admission!

Can you export an object file and do a screen rendering of what you could mill right now with the software you have. I think it would be good to show the difference between the base scan and the high res output.

Keep up the good work.

Job offer still stands!!!!!!!!!!!

Guy
    Thinking outside the box is one thing, being able to accomplish what you think of, is another.

Software Rhino 3.0 & 4.0, Corel 12, Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, Parts Wizard, Visual Mill 5.0 & 6.0, Rhino CAM/Art, Claytools, Microsoft Word, Notepad.
    Access to Hardware CAMaster 510 ATC w/4th Axis 8' Lathe, Kitako 10 Spindle CNC 4th Axis Carving Machine, Polhemus FastScan and LDI Surveyor 3500 Laser Scanners, Sensable Haptics.

Thank You Guy

Thanks Guy for appreciations and Job Offer...

After a year of reading the David Forum, I made some basic low-cost setup and experimented... .Even my crude setup gave me very good results...I continued to improve my setup day and night and getting improved results... The time has come when my scans were so good that i was in need to save those scans in High Resolution mode..In the mean time Sven and Simon put their best in David, a planless feature, communication with COM and SL functionality...

This compelled me to buy this great software..But the revolution didn't come in one day.. I started collecting money throughout the year to improve my setup and to buy this software...

and Today was the day of extreme happiness when i recieved the USB in a very good packaging.... Now I am able to scan and save in High Resolution Mode.. Thanks Sven and Simon and all the helping hands

Guy, the full version allows very high scan resolution (more than 1600 x 1200)..I scanned the above Deer with registered version of David and the resolution i kept was 800 x 600.. As the object was small and not fixed so I rotated the object and scanned.. Total 08 Ea Scans and merged in shape Fusion with 800 Poisson...

I saved this high resolution 3D model and the space it took was 83MB... I think i need no other software to work on this model.. I have approach to Geomagic but i didn't used it...

I am currently experimenting with NURB surfaces...

and Thank You very much for Job Offer... Frankly speaking I am not that able to work with you... But sometime i think i must work with you to get some valuable knowledge and Off course improve my English ..

I am thankful to You Guy for your time posting in this thread.

Best Regarsd
    KFK

PS:
    I am going to start making CNC indexer Unit from tomorrow...I am making drawings in AutoCad.. I will be happy to see your inprogress CNC pics.
    Last edited by Khalid Khattak; 11-16-2009 at 8:25 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Khalid Khattak View Post
    Thanks Guy for appreciations and Job Offer...

After a year of reading the David Forum, I made some basic low-cost setup and experimented... .Even my crude setup gave me very good results...I continued to improve my setup day and night and getting improved results... The time has come when my scans were so good that i was in need to save those scans in High Resolution mode..In the mean time Sven and Simon put their best in David, a planless feature, communication with COM and SL functionality...

This compelled me to buy this great software..But the revolution didn't come in one day.. I started collecting money throughout the year to improve my setup and to buy this software...

and Today was the day of extreme happiness when i recieved the USB in a very good packaging.... Now I am able to scan and save in High Resolution Mode.. Thanks Sven and Simon and all the helping hands

Guy, the full version allows very high scan resolution (more than 1600 x 1200)..I scanned the above Deer with registered version of David and the resolution i kept was 800 x 600.. As the object was small and not fixed so I rotated the object and scanned.. Total 08 Ea Scans and merged in shape Fusion with 800 Poisson...

I saved this high resolution 3D model and the space it took was 83MB... I think i need no other software to work on this model.. I have approach to Geomagic but i didn't used it...

I am currently experimenting with NURB surfaces...

and Thank You very much for Job Offer... Frankly speaking I am not that able to work with you... But sometime i think i must work with you to get some valuable knowledge and Off course improve my English ..

I am thankful to You Guy for your time posting in this thread.

Best Regarsd
    KFK

PS:
    I am going to start making CNC indexer Unit from tomorrow...I am making drawings in AutoCad.. I will be happy to see your inprogress CNC pics.

Khalid,

I too am honored in being able to share in your achievements and am thankful that you post to this forum and others. I have learned from you as well. Thanks for your continued efforts.

As far as file size goes. The flower chair that I did (photos at CAMheads in my albums) was over 1 GB one I finished working on it. It took my computer almost 7 hours of processing time to reduce the file to under 80 MB and still keep the detail. Anything over 100MB and Visual Mill starts to get cranky sometimes and wants to run out of dynamic memory!!!

Keep up the great work Khalid. You are inspiring many who follow your work and you should be quite proud of what you have done.

Guy
    Thinking outside the box is one thing, being able to accomplish what you think of, is another.

Software Rhino 3.0 & 4.0, Corel 12, Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, Parts Wizard, Visual Mill 5.0 & 6.0, Rhino CAM/Art, Claytools, Microsoft Word, Notepad.
    Access to Hardware CAMaster 510 ATC w/4th Axis 8' Lathe, Kitako 10 Spindle CNC 4th Axis Carving Machine, Polhemus FastScan and LDI Surveyor 3500 Laser Scanners, Sensable Haptics.

Thanks Guy...
    As far as File sizes is concerned , these can be reduced by converting the meshes into NURB surfaces... The David also has SHRINK function, that retains the details while minimizing the mesh Numbers...

I am currently improving my Hardware setup..My current setup is a little heavy... I want to make some very low cost and light weight portable setup.....So far I have hardware Limitation only, no software problems at all ....
    Some of my recent hardware addition is

1- A 1:60 ratio gear from Car Viper Motor scraped . Qty:01Ea ($5 US)
    2- Small steppers from salvaged Printers($13 US)..Qty:04 Ea)

and Offcourse I will put them in Hair Dryer ... Don't say this to my wife

This small hardware setup along with a Laptop will allow me to carry my this setup to different places...
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (27.1 KB, 32 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (35.3 KB, 39 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (41.2 KB, 37 views)

AMAZING!!

I still have the curtin file you sent me last year!! It is not nearly as neat as this!!

Great work and I cant wait to see your portable scanner finished.

Thanks for sharing,
    Nick

Wow...

Keep sharing your work

What do you plan to scan for the most part, just curious.
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.

Thanks Michael and Nick.. Michael, I am planning to scan some beautiful hand made relief work on furniture... I saw some intricate carvings on table legs etc.. and this scanner will mostly used for relief making of Indexer work...However we can do as much as we can with it...

Recently I ordered Arduino and Adafruit shield ( US 50$+shipment) to controll my stepper motor via USB ... This hardware is necessary for me to automate the David Laser Scanner Software and the hardware through the command line via USB.. It means Full automation ...

I have to solder the components on Adafruit shield... and i have to replace some components IC with some higher Amperage ICs to make the Board compatible with salvaged Stepper Motors...

PS:
    This Board can drive DC motors, Stepper Motors and Servo Motors along with PWM and variety of input/output pinsetc...

kahlid that is excellent

jim

[QUOTE=Khalid Khattak;1261410]

and Offcourse I will put them in Hair Dryer ... Don't say this to my wife
    QUOTE]

Khalid, why would you do this?
    Joey Jarrard
    US Router Tools

Thanks Jim
    Joey..Because of the shape of Hair dryer... The shape is like a Pistol, and after removing internals from the Dryer, i want to place the camera at the Blower side and on the Hand grip bottom i was placing the laser module and at the hand grip a trigger button for automation..

This is still in my to do list..But again i have to disaaemble the dryer unit in a seperate room else my wife will kill me

Hi,
    So far i was working on the control Hardware (electronics) for David Laser Scanner.. Following videos shows the electronic stuff completion for my Scanner..

Now i have to make a little box with 12V exhaust Fan on it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd6dnXZheZA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5ai12jGbbo

Sorry for my bad English in the videos ...

Was that your wife calling???

Also where is her hair dryer???

Thanks for posting and I know Ameicans with worse English!!

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Bukky View Post

Nick
    Yes..Absolutly right.. It was her call, I have to pick her from beauty Parlor... But the call was at very wrong time..so i break my video and afetr recieving the call i made another video with Part2...

Hmm... I don't know why the 6th sense of womens are too much strong, I don't know how she know about the hair dryer to be used in my experimentation..From the next day i am still searching that dryer i think she kept it in a secret place at home...Instead of using it she now goes to beauty Parlor... Now I have to search for other substitute for it ...

Thanks for watching the video and commenting here... and thanks for hearing that annoying telephone ring..

Regards
    Last edited by Khalid Khattak; 12-07-2009 at 11:37 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Bukky View Post

Nick
    So true.

I think that it is safe to say that we do not know any Americans that can speak Pakistani so you are one up on us Khalid! Keep up the great work Khalid.

Guy