Thread: Small table and firewood

Small table and firewood

Just a small red oak table for my granddaughter to eat on when watching tv. Used pocket hole joinery. Used some scrap oak I had from a shelving job.

PC220010.jpg

PC220009.jpg

This is a couple chunks of firewood I pulled out of the pile at a friends. Its 30% moisture right now and I have it stickered for drying. This should make a nice small box. I love the spalted stuff.

PC310011.jpg

PC310013.jpg
    Last edited by Rick Gifford; 12-07-2009 at 5:03 PM.
    One good turn deserves another

Rick...beautiful table and fantastic firewood.

That's a nice little table, Rick.
    Is that spalted maple, curly as well?
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

How did you account for wood the cross grain connection at each end? Looks like the mitered corners will come apart!

Last year at Christmas I pulled 3 logs out of my sister in laws wood pile. It was 3 pieces of some really nice spalted maple complete with worm holes and a dead worm! This year I am making them a box with most of the wood.

I'll post pictures when it is done. I am pretty happy with the contrast between african mohagany, purple heart, and the spalted maple. Best of all the 10" square box is only using about 1.5 bd feet of lumber that actually cost any money.

I have a neighbor with a whole wood pile of black walnut from a tree that fell this summer. I am going to see if I can nab three or 4 pieces of that for next year.

Free wood is nice for a change! Its just tough waiting for a year while it is drying.

-R
    Last edited by Robby Tacheny; 12-09-2009 at 2:45 PM.

Good lookin' firewood Rick and you did a great job on the small oak table for you granddaughter.......I'm still workin' on toy boxes!
    Women are like phones. They love to be held and talked to, but if you press the wrong buttons you'll get disconnected!

Life is one fool thing after another whereas love is two fool things after each other