Thread: Lumber prices. OUCH... Houston help...

Lumber prices. OUCH... Houston help...

Okay here's the scoop. I don't have the time before Christmas to run up to Hunstville to M&G Sawmill. I am needing a small quantity of black walnut, and honestly, Rockler's pre surfaced stuff is just too expensive...

Can anyone recommend a good place in the Houston Metro area that I can get a small quantity, say 10 bf or less of black walnut, and about the same of red oak for a decent price? Doesn't have to be pre surfaced... I have a jointer, and a planer...

I did some searching here and came up with BC Woodwork, tried calling with no answer. Is this guy still around?
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

You can try Houston hardwoods on 34th and 290 or Clarkes off of I-10 and 5 1/2 street I think. I was just at m & G this weekend and picked up 250 bdft of pecan. Much nicer ride than going in to Houston.

Not specific to Houston, but I've been satisfied with UPS bundles from Wall Lumber - current price is $117 for ~20 BF 4/4 walnut including delivery. According to their website 3-5' in length for each board though in case that's an issue. I've ordered several of their UPS bundles and most of the boards have been ~4' in length.

Wood

Go to Houston Hardwoods,their open till noon on Saturdays.Clarks has a very good selection but pricey---Carroll

Masons mill and lumber on tanner road. Cheaper than HH

Blog Entries
    +1 on Houston Hardwoods. They are reasonably priced, have a good selection, will cut out bad parts (or not charge you for it), and will cut a long board for you as long as they have 6 ft or more left.

David

Excuse me for interrupting your thread for personal reasons, but I have wondered about M & G wood prices and wood quality. Could you give me some info on M & G, please. Thanks. Clyde

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde McKinney View Post
    David

Excuse me for interrupting your thread for personal reasons, but I have wondered about M & G wood prices and wood quality. Could you give me some info on M & G, please. Thanks. Clyde
    M&G lists their current prices on their web site. Google M and G Sawmill for their link.

The lumber I got from M&G was actually more or less a group buy. A friend was going, I had him pick me up some nice stuff...

The black walnut I got from them was about 10" wide, 4/4, and the boards I got back were maybe 5 feet long with one a bit shorter, 4 ish feet... One small solid knot that was not a structural problem, and honestly worked well with the project at hand. Overall about 15 board feet, cost me somewhere around $60.00.

Sure wish there was something in Galveston County instead...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Quote Originally Posted by mark kosse View Post
    Masons mill and lumber on tanner road. Cheaper than HH
    I agree, but the way their lumber is stacked and removed by forklift makes it a bit of a pain for small quantities, in my experience.