View Poll Results: Can you get a decent edge on your cutting tools with a high speed grinder?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

3 4.23%
  • Yes

62 87.32%
  • Yes, but's it really hard

6 8.45%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you successfully sharpen using a high speed grinder

Can you successfully sharpen using a high speed grinder

So my current tool sharpening set up is just using a standard high speed grinder with an 8" 100 grit pink wheel and using a Wolverine jig with the varigrind 1 for my gouges. I can't seem to get a really decent edge on my tools with it though. I can definitely get things sharper, but it always seems to leave a kind rough edge and it removes material too fast, so I can't usually get as smooth of a surface without waviness in it. I posted before on the main forum about this, and some people suggested it was just my methods that needed work and that you can get a nice edge with a high speed grinder, but so far I haven't been able to get what I consider a decent edge. So do you guys think you can reasonably get a decent edge with a high speed grinder or is a slow speed grinder pretty much needed?

-Stephen

light touch!

To make it work you need a very light touch. Works for me. G

yes, and +1 on the light touch, remember you are sharpening not grinding, Very light touch, just enough pressure to prevent the tools from bouncing..

Also you didnt mention if your tools are HSS or regular steel? If HSS then there is no problem with sharpening at high speed, even the little blueing is not a problem the steel can take it.

if they are reg. steel then when you are sharpening you are taking out to much, (to much pressure) and that is at the same time creating excessive heat.

The other thing to watch for is a very smooth and consistant movement, do not let the tool stay in one place.

+ 1 on Light touch! The machine needs to be smooth, vibration makes it more difficult to control the grinding. This is also true for slow speed grinders but the high speed ones are more sensitive to balance issues.

Also forgot to mention, get a diamond wheel dresser for it, Even more so with the high speed wheels, you will be wearing a grove in them faster and building up gunk. Need to keep the wheel flat and clean..

I sure hope you can. If not, I've been doing it wrong for quite a long time.

Wolverine (Oneway) recommends to use a high speed grinder.
    As pointed out, the key is how smooth your grinder runs. If the tool is bouncing off the wheel, it would be difficult to control even if it is a slow speed grinder.
    Gordon

I would also suggest using higher grit wheels. I use the Woodcraft slow speed but changed the wheels so I have a 120 and 150 grit. As mentioned - you are sharpening and just need to touch the steel to the wheel and you are done. Also, the type of steel used does make a difference in the edge you get off the wheel.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks everyone, I guess I'm just not doing it correctly, I'll have to keep on practicing. Currently I have some cheap HSS tools that I bought to learn on. Gonna buy some Thompsons when I can, but I want to learn on my cheap tools before I grind away on a nicer tool.

Thanks for all the tips, I'll have to be patient and just keep at it.

-Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Saar View Post
    Thanks everyone, I guess I'm just not doing it correctly, I'll have to keep on practicing. Currently I have some cheap HSS tools that I bought to learn on. ...
    Practicing is the key. Assuming your wheel's been dressed properly and is in balance, you just need enough time at the grinder to learn the right feel. Then, sharpening will become second nature.

Note: For those of us who came to turning from carving or some other discipline, part of the learning curve is understanding what "sharp" means to a woodturner. The edge most turners consider sharp -- right off the grinder -- would not count as sharp in a lot of other types of woodworking.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Walser View Post
    Note: For those of us who came to turning from carving or some other discipline, part of the learning curve is understanding what "sharp" means to a woodturner. The edge most turners consider sharp -- right off the grinder -- would not count as sharp in a lot of other types of woodworking.
    Glad you said this, I was about to put my foot deep into my mouth over how a grinder is used to establish a bevel and then an edge is formed from there. I have a slow speed sharpening system that has a fine grit surface of 6 microns. I usually give my edges a little touch on a finer stone after that. Then again, I sometimes mess with the wife by going to the shop with a full beard and come back into the house with just a mustache.

First time kind of shook her up.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Sharpening

Why dont you get a couple of old rasps at the flea market or a car spring and make a few tools. The practice you get from this will help you a lot.

Yes but light touch followed by honing as needed.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

It's important to use a light touch and keep the tool moving. Any dwelling will give an uneven surface. This is especially true with carbon steel which wears quicker than HSS

Stephen,

Can you spend half an hour or so with someone who's a really good sharpener?

IMHO that is the best cure for what ails you. It is true that practice makes perfect -- if you're practicing the right way. If not, it just creates bad habits.

Having someone who knows how to sharpen and can tutor you teaches you what it looks and feels like to do it right and wrong. Then you can practice from there.