Thread: PM 45 - What do you think?

PM 45 - What do you think?

This PM came from a school as one would expect. Haven't seen it, and the representations are that it is wired for 110, runs well, the rust is surface rust, and the price (at this point) is $550, down from an original asking price of $750. I have not made an offer yet. It has been advertised for a couple of weeks, at least.

It is about 2.5 hours, one way, to where the lathe is located. I realize that I may make the trip, and the machine not check out good, but I don't want to make that kind of trip if it isn't a great deal assuming it is good functionally. It looks rough to me, but then I have no idea what I am looking at, being a newbie as I am!

Across the country, over the past couple of weeks, there have been PM45s ranging from $450 - $1,000 on CL. One went off on ebay last week without a bid with a minimum bid of $590, as I recall.

Keeping in mind that my current lathe is the HF 34706 (which I actually like) what are your thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm thinking you should just be done with it and join that "Mustard Club".....

Pm 45

Looks like a real old model. It's a big heavy lathe, but as most lathes in those days were, it has a 12 in. swing with 16 over the gap (good only for platters) It probably has a 1 1/2 x 8 in. spindle.

If it's a big heavy machine, with limited capacity that you want, this one has it. If after inspection everything looks good, it's probably worth the price. You might talk about including some new bearings.

Wally

John, thats one beast of a lathe and depending on what you have in mind to turn on it will probably handle anything you can throw at it within its capacities of course. I will say however that after having a lathe with electronic variable speed I would never want to turn without it. If you dont think you will ever want to do larger bowls (you will) then its not too much of a concern but you will want the lower speed if/when you do.
    Thats being said the 45 is a real workhorse and built like a tank. I passed one up at a sale a couple years ago and it was a hard decision not to buy it. It went for $475 and I kicked myself all the way home. Good luck with your decision making and let us know what you decide.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

I spent $40 on my fisrt one rockwell delta sold it for $175 after I got my new Jet. I seem to think it is a little high priced, money is tight for most people right now . If it was cleaned up and running it would bring that kind of money. I would make an offer of 200 maybe 250, there are others out there if he dosent want to bite.

You can contact Consumer Relations at 800-274-6848 - 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (CST, Monday - Friday) for a manual.

Sid

The 45 is a smaller version of the 90 more or less. I think the spindle is 1". I have a 90 with 1 1/2" and reeves variable speed. I would hold out for a beefer lathe for that price. Unless you want to start collecting lathes.

That's my lathe (see pic). I like it, but know I'll likely upgrade to something with greater swing in the future. But for right now it's everything I need. As a price point comparison, I bought mine about 3 yrs ago for $400. The variable speed drive mechanism was "stuck" and the store I bought if from (it was on consignment) didn't want to fix it. One evening and a little elbow grease and she was working like a champ.

1" spindle

Jon
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good points from everyone! Since I am fairly satisfied with the HF lathe at the moment, and since any of these older lathes will require some rehab - best that I wait until a jewel comes along before investing time and money. I have seen a few PM90s go through. They bring more money, but probably worth it. On the other hand, VS new lathes can be had used for $750 and up, so Jim that is certainly a consideration, as well.

Gary Z., while I would love to have some mustard color in my shop, turning loose of that much "green" color from my wallet precludes such an exchange!!

Jon, your PM45 turned out to be a nice lathe for you - thanks for the pic.

I really appreciate the wisdom and input of this group, and I hope you do not mind if I post these "what do you think" threads in the future should I find another possibility.

John,
    I think Joseph hit it on the head for me...the price is too high for the condition. The PM90s are more solidly built if you want to rebuild something.

FYI-one sold for $120 at a local school auction not too long ago (IIRC the tailstock spindle was missing).

I'll keep my eyes open for a good one at a fair price for ya!

Thanks, Dick! I have emailed the seller and informed them that I am not interested in the PM45. There will be others, and I am in no rush. I really need to spend some time refining my skills anyway before undertaking a change in lathes.

That said.... always open to an opportunity!