Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolling storage cabinet - suggestions

Question Rolling storage cabinet - suggestions

I've been thinking about getting a rolling storage cabinet for a while now, and the thread in D&D got me thinking about it more.

I currently have a wood shop and a bicycle shop in seperate rooms, which is nice, but I'm moving in 6 months and will likely only have one room for my tools. I was thinking of storing most of my bike tools in a rolling cabinet. So I'll be using it for both woodworking tools, general tools, and bicycle tools.

This one from Sears has quiet glides, which I don't think are quite ball bearing. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...000B?adCell=B3 The size is probably about what I'd need though. And there's this one too, with ball bearings: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...000B?adCell=B3 I'd like to have ball bearing slides if possible, but don't want to spend a fortune.

Anyway, I'm sure some of you have a lot more experience with these than me, so I wanted to pick your brains and get some reccommendations.

Thanks!

I put everything on casters as I have a small shop and frequently need to move things to access whats behind them. I know not what you asked, but its an option with small shops, I even put casters under my several shorts storage.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

I was inquiring about which type of storage cabinet to get - craftsman, us general, kobalt, etc. The more inexpensive the better, but nice rolling drawers and good quality is a plus. I'm thinking sears and a coupon would be the best route.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I was inquiring about which type of storage cabinet to get - craftsman, us general, kobalt, etc. The more inexpensive the better, but nice rolling drawers and good quality is a plus. I'm thinking sears and a coupon would be the best route.
    Take a look at Home Depots line of Husky carts. They seem to be pretty reasonable and built better than most. I especially liked their drawer slides.

The big red US General boxes that harbor freight sells are fantastic. I have had one for about a year and couldn't be happier.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90320

I just got a sales add and they are on sale for $399

The red HF General tool chest will be on sale for $339.99 on Jan 16, 17 and 18 according to their online flyer. I'm waiting patiently, 20% off coupon in hand! It would come to $272 with the coupon.

I can't get those links to work, so I have no idea what price or size you are looking at. But there is this from HF:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...8&keycode=0000

I have a couple craftsman chests with "quiet glide" which is just okay in my opinion. I would spring for the bearings if I were buying the same thing again.

Try http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/tabviewer/start.do and the red HF cabinet is on the first page of the January Sale Flyer. Overall dimensions of the 90320 are given as: 44-3/4'' W x 18-1/2'' D x 40'' H

Here's the one I'm getting for Christmas:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...000B?adCell=W3

It has casters and ball bearing drawer guides. Looks like a nice unit for the price.

I've got 2 large CMan storage cabinets. The cabs themselves are pretty well made but the casters aren't very good quality. The units dont roll all that smoothly.
    Use the fence Luke

I have the red HF top and bottom chest linked above. I think they are great. I did a lot of searching before I bought them. I think I paid around $600 for the set. We have a lot of craftsman, Waterloo, and Snapon here at work. The HF is every bit as good as the Craftsman and Waterloo. The drawer slides aren't quite as beefy as the ones on the Snapon but I didn't pay a gajillion $$$ for it either. You will probably have to pay 2-3x times what I paid to get something of equal quality somewhere else.

I see these constantly on sale at my local Sears Hardware, I would check the B&M stores as well.

Your Sears links didn't work, but I have a mix of quiet glide and ball bearing slides and I feel they are pretty good. A pro mechanic who opens them dozens of times a day might wear them out but they are fine for a hobbiest.

I recently replaced my middle and upper chest with new, larger ones. Then I found the same lower roller I already had, but in black to match the new uppers. I took the older roller and cut a cutoff of butcher-block I had sitting around to just fit the roller and made a small work surface out of it with room for woodworking stuff below.

I got all my units 40-50% off regular price by watching the searsoutlet.com site.

Thanks guys, that's some good info. I don't have to buy this right now, but now I know what to look for. Hopefully I'll come across a good deal and snatch it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Thanks guys, that's some good info. I don't have to buy this right now, but now I know what to look for. Hopefully I'll come across a good deal and snatch it up.
    Remember to check CL in your area if you're willing to go the used route!
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"