Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: for those who have put a Byrd head in a G0490

Exclamation for those who have put a Byrd head in a G0490

For those who have swapped, was the spindle length of the Byrd head on the side that has the pulley the same as the 4 knife cutterhead you removed?

I'm in the process of doing the swap and notice the Byrd head i have is about 1/4" shorter than knife cutterhead. Does that sound correct.

Does anyone know the difference between the two 8" Byrd cutterheads that Grizzly sells?

Thanks

Joe

I swapped the 4 knife cutterhead on my G0490 jointer to the byrd head about one month ago and I noticed the same thing. The pulley extends past the end of the shaft on the Bryd head when the pulley is fully seated. The pulley still has plenty of contact with the shaft and key way so I am not worried. I wondered the same thing, though, when I installed it.

There is only one Byrd head that will fit the G0490. I think that head was designed for the Delta DJ20 which the G0490 is a clone of.
    Last edited by Larry Slotylak; 12-07-2009 at 11:08 PM. Reason: typo

Larry,

Thanks for the reply. Just spoke with Grizzly CS and from the measurements it seems correct and they said the gap should not be a problem.

I am also upgrading the pulleys to the ribbed style and the flat belt which offsets even further from the end. Hope it all goes back together.

Joe,
    Please post the results of your belt/pulley upgrade. In particular, I am interested in whether you have any interferance with the opening in the stand. This upgrade may be of interest to lots of G0490 owners.

Thanks,
    Bill

Will do. Hopefully will get to work on it tonight.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hathcoat View Post
    Larry,

Thanks for the reply. Just spoke with Grizzly CS and from the measurements it seems correct and they said the gap should not be a problem.

I am also upgrading the pulleys to the ribbed style and the flat belt which offsets even further from the end. Hope it all goes back together.
    Any info on the ribbed belt/pulley source & part numbers appreciated.

Mike

What I ordered from Grizzly:

Cutterhead pulley: P0490070V2

Motor pulley: P0490225V2

Belt: P0490224V2

New pulleys are aluminum and the belt is probably close to 1-1/4" wide.

Also get a new key for the cutterhead pulley as mine would not come out of the old pulley. I had to tear it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fitch View Post
    Joe,
    Please post the results of your belt/pulley upgrade. In particular, I am interested in whether you have any interferance with the opening in the stand. This upgrade may be of interest to lots of G0490 owners.

Thanks,
    Bill
    Joe - thanks for the info..

Bill - why is this upgrade of interest? Is there a problem with the stock pulley/belt system?

Mike,
    I am interested solely because "belt slap" and vibration are probably the 2 biggest issues with the G0490, and Grizzly must have changed the belt/pulley for a reason. Mine is not set up yet so don't know if I would have an issue.

Bill

Mike,
    I am interested solely because "belt slap" and vibration are probably the 2 biggest issues with the G0490, and Grizzly must have changed the belt/pulley for a reason. Mine is not set up yet so don't know if I would have an issue.

Bill
    I know this is getting off topic - sorry, but, when did they change the design? I ordered one over the weekend and haven't received it as of yet.

Mike

Mike,
    I ordered mine the end of October. What I received was manufactured in February of 2008. The manual available from the Grizzly web site is for a revision as of March of 2009. I do not know how many revisions occurred between 2/2008 to 3/2009. It appears that the G0490X models that have shipped recently have a fully enclosed dust collection shute, something mine does not have. As I perused the latest manual, it looked like the belt/pulley change was the only significant one. With luck, yours will be of more current vintage than mine.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    I know this is getting off topic - sorry, but, when did they change the design? I ordered one over the weekend and haven't received it as of yet.

Mike
    I just ordered and received mine last Friday (G0490X) it has the fully enclosed dust collection shute and the new ribbed style pulley and the wide flat belt so they are shipping out the new revised/ updated models… just so you know Mike.

Also I haven’t hooked up the power yet, but so far its looks like a very nice piece of equipment as far as fit and finish.

Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Richard,
    If it is not too late, can you measure the belt opening in the stand and report back? I too am interested in this upgrade, but from looking at my stand, there does not seem to be much clearance if I install the wider belt. This would be helpful information for other older G0490 owners as well.

Thanks,
    Bill

Richard,
    If it is not too late, can you measure the belt opening in the stand and report back? I too am interested in this upgrade, but from looking at my stand, there does not seem to be much clearance if I install the wider belt. This would be helpful information for other older G0490 owners as well.

Thanks,
    Bill
    Bill I can check later tonight when I get home from work ..

Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

FYI ...measured the belt and it's actually 1-1/8" wide. My upgrade got put on hold (they sent me an incorrect bearing).

Joe