Thread: ripping a 45 on 1*12s

ripping a 45 on 1*12s

Hello,

I am ripping a 45 degree cut on some 1*12 pine, and was hoping for some good ideas.

I plan to use a featherboard to hold the 1*12 tight to the table saw fence, but don't know what to use to keep the 1*12 tight to the table through the cut. The cut will be close to 11 inches from the fence, as I will be utilizing most of the board. Any suggenstions on making this type of cut? thanks!

something like this. featherboard/ hold down.

http://www.ptreeusa.com/tablesaw_pro...tm#woodfeather

I always make these cuts a bit wide on the first pass, maybe an 8th or so. Then when I cut to final dimension, I don't have the problem of the stock trying to ride out over the blade. Pay close attention to the part of the board closest to the blade, if this rises away from the table your width will not be consistent.

Jason

I have huge areas around my saws with 8' benches as outfeeds, and when I come up against what you are trying I use a good skilsaw with a guide. Not saying it can't be done, just that the results are more predictable and easier to control with a skilsaw. I have a big old Speedmatic for this purpose, but any good skilsaw will do. Its just easier to move the saw than the board. A quick pass with an electric planer on the guide side first will help as 2x12 is not normally very straight.

You can make something yourself as I did...they press the wood down to the table and to the fence...

Not so much in use because of the Short fence and the feeder rollers that I usually use for ripping Solid wood...
    HD10A.jpg
    Here, I'm using it to hold the Straight and Tapper jig
    31.jpg

Or you can buy the commercial version...
    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...2&cookietest=1

Regards
    niki

"Board buddies" mounted to the top of your fence will also help keep the board flat to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    "Board buddies" mounted to the top of your fence will also help keep the board flat to the table.
    Do Board Buddies mount on top of a Biesemeyer Fence, or is some sort of mod/fabrication needed? (Just curious).

Do it like this guy:
    http://www.cjohnhebert.com/Bed.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Shriver View Post
    Do Board Buddies mount on top of a Biesemeyer Fence, or is some sort of mod/fabrication needed? (Just curious).
    Click on the link on my previous post...
    Yes, you need some special mounting track for $24.99 that the hold down $56.99 (each) is mounted on...

niki

Put your wife up on the saw and have her ride it through like a surf board.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Shriver View Post

Yes, depending on the fence you can mount them on top; however the track system that Nissim posted the link to is a better option.

My understanding is the GRR-ripper would work well for this purpose.

Thanks fellas

Do it like this guy:
    K- I'm not the sharpest tack in the drawer - but - isn't that an accident looking for a place to happen?
    It's my understanding that you never want to trap the cutoff between the blade and the fence like that - or am I missing something?

15. Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    K- I'm not the sharpest tack in the drawer - but - isn't that an accident looking for a place to happen?
    It's my understanding that you never want to trap the cutoff between the blade and the fence like that - or am I missing something?
    Rich, that is a very good safety rule and knowing the potential hazard is most of what it takes to avoid injury. However, there will come times when you will want to take the risk. Just know the hazard and be careful NOT TO STAND in the line of fire. If one cuts a lot of these, eventually the cut off WILL become a projectile.