Thread: The "not so big miter saw workstation?"

The "not so big miter saw workstation?"

Need some ideas for a miter saw workstation.

Currently, I have my 12" Hitachi slider on a RIDGID "MSUV" mobile stand. It folds up nicely and is relatively compact, but a pain to move around in the shop and break down/set up.

I'm thinking either a dedicated workstation mounted to the wall, or some type of mobile cart might be best. I'm very short on space.

I know the magazines are full of these things, but would you folks mind sharing pictures of your own setups?

Thanks.

Jason

I had made this from plans in a Wood Magazine article. I cannot remember which issue it was but I do know it was a 2008 issue. If you have a slider you would have to make it a little larger but should still work. Holds on the wall with a french cleat. The nice thing is that it takes up a very small footprint.

Here's a link to mine since I can't upload it again.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=125436 Scroll down to post #11 to see it.
    You can also use it with the wings down if you only need to make small cuts. I just recently added dust collection to it but haven't taken any pictures yet.

I just finished mine recently. It's not certainly not small at 16' long, but you could certainly size it down.
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 08-23-2010 at 4:50 PM. Reason: Link to for profit site deleted

miter saw station

finewoodworking has one it's it latest issue. I changed the planes a little, took out the shop vac and put in drawers - need the storage. having a shop thats a one car garage requires tools to be compact and mobile. This plan has wings that fold out to accomidate long lumber, which i like.

Very interesting idea. Especially the provisions for dust collection!

Thanks.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Damon Marxer View Post
    I had made this from plans in a Wood Magazine article. I cannot remember which issue it was but I do know it was a 2008 issue. If you have a slider you would have to make it a little larger but should still work. Holds on the wall with a french cleat. The nice thing is that it takes up a very small footprint.

I'm also building the one that FWW laid out. It seems perfect for space-saving and adds a bit of storage as well (also going to replace shopvac area with drawers or shelves).

I made this one using a combination of two plans I found in magazines/books. Don't remember which ones exactly, but it is pretty simple. Basically a box that sets the edges of the top/edge of the miter saw table flush with my workbench. That is the right side wing. The left is a foldable wing with a support that folds out in use and folds back when not. The wing then folds down over the support. I put in a pullout piece for space to put all the stuff you need to put down when you are working. Drawers underneath, since you can never have too many drawers, especially in my small shop.

Jaso

Just a thought.........

I don't know what kind of work you are doing, but I work with a lot of long lengths and I prefer to have my saw loose with fixed supports on either side. I want the surface that the saw sits on to be slippery enough that I can move the saw to the board, but not so slippery that the saw slides too easy. To me it is much easier to pull the saw to the board for fine adjustments that to try to move a heavy board a small amount. Also I do not change the saw from its set degree for small corrections, I just pivot the piece on the fence by moving the saw until it is where I want it. Much faster and more efficient than changing the angle on the saw. Under the work support is a place to put incidentals, chisels, block plane, etc.

As far as I am concerned all of the commercial saw stations I have seen are useless for my business. The roller extensions are stupid, there is no place for the other things you need, the support in not continuous so different size pieces may fall through the cracks so to speak, and they cost more than an infinately more effective custom built version.

I have one I built up for trim that is built with truss box construction, 12 feet long which lets me handle most trim that comes in 16" lengths, and is light enough to carry easily around the site and from job to job. I did have drawers in the box support section but removed them as it was more weight and another step every time I needed a tool. I just throw it on a set of horses and I am working.

I don't like fixed fences in line with the saw fence because when you have to deal with a board that is less than straight it fights you getting a square cut at the saw. Even in my shop on my Omga the extension fence is back from the saw fence to allow a stop, but not screw with me when a piece has a bow.

Larry
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 12-09-2009 at 7:16 AM.

I've got my Delta 12" CMS base attached to a baltic birch torsion box approx 18" x 5' x 3.25" with a handle in the side in the balance spot (minus the saw). It will fit on a pickup tailgate, sawhorses, and a bench. I do a lot of stuff on worksite. It's lighter than a solid base same size yet heavy enough, carries easy, can pound on it, and not flimsy: I love the setup.

...sorry, don't have pics.