Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Table saw delivery options

Quote Originally Posted by Don Morris View Post
    Wow, you expect the people who sold you the TS to come out and help set-up align and adjust the saw??? I guess I didn't ask the right questions when I bought mine. Wonder how many creekers had the people who sold them their saws had the sellers come out and help set-up, adjust and align their saws. Or did I misunderstand your statement.

Don - check out Don Bullock's post in this thread....I think this is where I got the ide to ask them to set it up.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1169712
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Maybe call around to landscapers in your area, and see if someone will take it off your utility trailer with their forks on their way to or from work?

A lot of guys in your neck of the woods have forks, maybe someone in your neighborhood has a bobcat or a tractor? I'd do it for someone in my neighborhood just to help out.

3. Last week I unloaded my PM 2000 from the back of my Pickup with the help of a neigbor and an engine hoist he uses for pulling engines out of cars. Take some measurements first to make sure it can lift high enough to clear your pickup bed, I had less than an inch to spare. Drove the truck out from under the raised saw and pallet then lowered it down some and we rolled the whole set-up into my garage.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnT Fitzgerald View Post
    I just called a place nearby. $30 for the day, and $.89/mile. it'll be about $50 total, a tad less than having them deliver it. I was a little confused by the Budget website - it seemed to indicate that liftgates were only available for "business rentals". Not the case, according to the woman on the phone. It's actually right on the way to the place where I'll be buying it, so it works out great.
    Sounds like the best bet yet.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Don't give up!

With the exception of one item, all of the heavy stationary equipment I've purchase has been delivered inside my garage at no charge. That one item was delivered to a local shipping terminal and loaded onto my pickup truck at no charge because I preferred to store it in the truck for a few days. Your purchase price might enable you to absorb the cost of a lift-gate delivery and still be a good deal but I would encourage you to not settle for anything less than free lift-gate curbside delivery.

My purchases were made three and four years ago from Amazon and Woodcraft during different market conditions but I'm thinking you should have even more leverage today. Some of those free deliveries were offered up front and the others were negotiated as a condition of the sale. You are the customer and you do have the final say in the process.

Grizzly specifically sent me an email that I had to respond to prior to shipping. Stated something to the effect that I am aware that the item is being truck shipped and it was my responsibility to get it off the truck!

When I made the initial purchase, I could have elected to pay an additional $30 for the optional "lift-gate" service.

My TS, jointer, planer got off the truck, thru the garage, through the kitchen, and down the stairs with 3 friends - BIG friends - and 2 cases of Labatts Blue. The beer was in a cooler downstairs, where the equipment went. The "carrot" approach. Just sayin........
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

8. With my tablesaw purchase from Equipment Sales and Surplus they where willing the do residential liftgate service for $85 (good deal in hind-sight). I turned it down figuring they where overcharging to make a little more profit in addition to my tablesaw purchase. SO to keep the overall saw purchase at minimal cost I decided I could pick it up my self and save. Once the saw arrived the weather was very cold and snowing and my driveway was icy. I called the delivery company (YRC) for a delivery quote. I thought going directly thru them would be cheaper. NOT SO MUCH!! YRC quoted me $85 residential delivery and if I wanted lift gate service it would cost an ADDITIONAL $129...for a total delivery charge of $214. I decided to get the saw and unload it myself as originally planned......that evening with the help of my neighbor in single digit temp weather. Took about an hour to finally get it done and we where both frozen and my neighbor was late for a dinner date. I was sure kicking myself for not originally spending the extra $85 when I purchased the saw!

Blog Entries

Another delivery option

Years ago when I was on active duty with the Navy we were sent to Egypt. We were stationed on land at temporary sites in remote areas and we had lots of heavy equipment. In the early days before all our support equipment arrived a truck (Egyptian military) with several table saw sized pieces of equipment on it arrived at our site. We had no loading dock or a forklift. The workers gathered a half dozen mattresses and placed them in a pile behind the truck. They then man handled the heavy pieces to the back of the truck and pushed them off onto the pile. Workers on the ground would guide piece as it bounced so it didn't fall off the mattresses. Once the bouncing stopped they would roll it off the mattresses onto the ground and take it where it needed to go. They did this at least a half dozen times and nothing was dropped or broken in the process. YMMV.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I Loaded and Unloaded a Unisaw my self. I simply cantilevered the saw and loaded it flat into my Rover, installation was reverse of removal.

I had to remove all the auxiliary stuff (fence, rails ect) but it was not as bad as you may think.

I did is basically the same way as this guy less the jack.

http://machines.2x.nu/unisaw_offloading/index.html

We have a Yukon XL, so we could do the same with that....but since I have a trailer and could just hand-truck it on and off, I'd probably do that. Depends on whether I prefer driving to pick it up (35-40 miles one way) or $100 for the lift gate delivery.

Has anyone here faced this issue? I'm leaning towards picking it up (on trailer or renting a lift-gate truck), as I don't see how we'd be able to 'lift it' down from a standard box truck...[/QUOTE]

A couple of moths ago I found a good deal on a Jet 15" Planer ($500.00 with noticeably little use). After wrestling that out of my Brother in law's truck, I decided I needed something to assist when I buy more large machinery. I came across a 1 ton Portable Crane that was on sale at HF for $99 from $180 and with their 20% off coupon, I got it for around $80.00 too bad you are not near me as I would let you use it. it is not even out of the boxes yet so I cannot vouch for how well it works.

GW

Get a partial sheet of 3/4" plywood

I recently bought a Griz G0555X. Since I live on the side of a mountain, I met the delivery van and just slid the cartons onto the bed of my pickup. When I got back to the shop, I used a 1/2 sheet of 3/4 plywood and slid the saw down the back of the pickup onto a scrap pallet. I put the mobile base together and added the saw base. I used a come-a-long chained to my shop rafters and uploaded the saw onto the base.

Using a sheet of plywood is easy and not that hard on your back. It worked like a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT Fitzgerald View Post
    Cabinet saw. I know some people that have pickups and one or two that have box trucks, but none with lift gates.

I'm thinking of just trailering it....it's only about 10 miles, and I have a hand truck rated to 800 lbs.
    John, you can build a makeshift ramp to get it out of the trailer. I've helped others unload some pretty large equipment that way.

Or if you know someone with a "tilt" trailer you can borrow. That is what I used to unload my JET cabinet saw and Shop Fox 20" planer that was over 850 lbs. The saw was easy to unload by myself. Don't ask about the planer......!

Eric - I'm all set. My trailer has a ramp, and I managed to 'walk' and drag the pallet off and into my garage.