Thread: Glue Ups?

Glue Ups?

I haven't had anything to do lately in the shop so I've been taking some of my scrap wood and gluing it up with some contrasting veneer in between. I've got several pieces now but I don't know what to do with them. Should they be cut up and glued back together in another pattern? I originally thought I'd use them in a turning project but I just can't figure out how to go about it.
    They average 1 3/4" wide and range from 4 3/4" to 12" long and from 5/8" to 1 1/2" thick. The lighter dark wood is Honduran mahogany. I don't know what the other dark wood is.
    Thanks for checking out my thread and any help you can give me!!!
    Here's a picture of them.

Take care!
    Michael

Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God.-- Leo Buscaglia

Michael - you could always glue them together and create blanks for bowls, platters, hollow forms, vases, etc. Should look pretty cool no matter what you turn with them!

Have fun with it! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

The darker wood looks like walnut to me. You could always turn pens or small boxes from the blanks. It's the time of year for Christmas ornaments so that's a thought. Further gluing them up would allow you to do larger things. They might also be good for segmented turnings where you cut and then rotate each piece to create spirals. That's what came off the top of my head.