Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lie-Nielsen showroom pricing?

Lie-Nielsen showroom pricing?

Has anyone ever bought anything directly from the LN showroom in Warren, Maine? I'm curious whether they offered any discount for buying "factory direct".
    ================================================== ===================================
    Please disregard - I think I've found my answer searching the forums...
    Last edited by Jim Watts; 12-08-2009 at 9:19 PM.

I have ordered from the showroom and as far as I can tell the prices are no direrent than Woodcraft

Lie-Nielsen prices are required to be list prices at all dealers. That is one reason Woodcraft won't be selling L-N in the future.

Does anyone think these planes:
    http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2021...er-Planes.aspx
    figure into a marketing decision by L-N?
    Or maybe the decision is being made by Woodcraft.
    Joe

That sure seems like a bonehead move. While I may not premeditate a LN purchase from Woodcraft, there is no telling what will happen "spur of the moment".

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    Lie-Nielsen prices are required to be list prices at all dealers. That is one reason Woodcraft won't be selling L-N in the future.

LN Pricing

When you visit the showroom and purchase a plane, chisels, etc., they give you 10% off. Good motivation for me to make the 40 minute drive. Kieran

I went to their open house last week and was disappointed. There was no mention anywhere of any discount. Nothing special being offered or even displayed. Some demonstrations by various local craftsmen and a tour of the facility was the whole program. We had more fun at "The Shelter Institute" just north of Bath, ME on the return trip. Hand tools of all types galore. Must have been 20 or 30 different Japanese cutoff saws alone. Quite frankly, Lie Neilson is quite overrated IMHO.

Kieren, at the risk of sounding contrary, can I ask when you last received a discount at the factory? I believe the practice of discounting at shows and at the factory was discontinued about a year and a half ago. You may find a free shipping offer occasionally at one of their demos.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim N Maine View Post
    Quite frankly, Lie Neilson is quite overrated IMHO.
    I don't have any of the Woodriver planes to compare them to, but I do have some old Stanleys and while they work perfectly well, my Lie Nielsen #3 is the best bench plane I own, followed very closely by a LV low angle smoother.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Jim N Maine View Post
    Jim N Maine in Maine: I believe that reflects a minority view here.

LN discount

Several times in the last 4 months.

I went to their open house last week and was disappointed. There was no mention anywhere of any discount. Nothing special being offered or even displayed. Some demonstrations by various local craftsmen and a tour of the facility was the whole program. We had more fun at "The Shelter Institute" just north of Bath, ME on the return trip. Hand tools of all types galore. Must have been 20 or 30 different Japanese cutoff saws alone. Quite frankly, Lie Neilson is quite overrated IMHO.
    Disappointed because there was no discount? I can understand that. But I came to terms with the LN prices after being similarly disappointed. And after buying some and actually using them. The LN tools are TOP quality, made in America, lifetime guarantee, lifetime customer support tools. The demos are just an understandable effort (IMO) to drum up sales in a tough economy. While a few "accessories" or odd-ball tools may seem overpriced (I agree), I would bet that anyone claiming the common tools are overrated either doesn't own any and/or, more importantly, hasn't used them much or at all. Oh, and LV's are pretty outstanding as well. and not because they offer a limited-time discount upon introducing them.

Then you must be receiving the Maine resident's discount! That sounds like a business opportunity. A lot of businesses would love to be able to make 10% margins. Next time you go, take a truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    Then you must be receiving the Maine resident's discount! That sounds like a business opportunity. A lot of businesses would love to be able to make 10% margins. Next time you go, take a truck.
    Although I have relocated my shop to Mass. I previously lived 12 miles from LN. I always received a 10% discount at the factory. I believe this is still true.
    DICK
    We can only be, what we give ourselves the power to be~ Cherokee Feast of Days

Sticks and coal for you from Santa this year
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.