Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lie-Nielsen showroom pricing?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Erickson View Post
    Agreed Larry. The owner of the WoodCraft here in my area (Atlanta) is a top notch guy and bends over backwards to work with his customers. I have had absolutely no problems with him or his store. Not sure what is going on with corporate but I wouldn't use a broad brush to include all retail stores.

I second Rick's comments. The guys here in the Atlanta store as well as other stores around the southeast seem to be very helpful, especially to one whom is still early in this "woodworking process".
    War Eagle!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Satur View Post
    ... got 1/2 my money back, the rest in store credit.
    Was that their idea? If so it is in complete contrast with their guarantee.

We’re absolutely confident that you’ll be satisfied with your purchase from Woodcraft! If you’re not, return it anytime within 90 days and we will gladly replace the product, give you credit, or refund your money, whichever you prefer. Woodcraft’s Guarantee does not apply to power tools, which are subject only to manufacturer’s warranties. Special-order items or manufacturer drop-ships are subject to a 25% restocking fee.
    I too have become disappointed with Woodcraft of late. Dropping lines of tools for cheaper imports. Poorly stocked stores. Now I hear of shady business practices. I had sensed that they were phasing L-N out, much to my chagrin. I went in a couple of weeks ago with a certain L-N item in mind, armed with a birthday coupon and another 10% coupon. Didn't find what I was looking for, or anything else that I wanted. I walked out empty handed. I don't ever remember walking out of there without making a purchase. I suspect that these coupons will go unused.

FWIW, I've spent about $2000 between L-N, LeeValley, and Craftsman's Studio since my last purchase at Woodcraft.
    Last edited by Jeff Willard; 12-17-2009 at 11:14 PM.

There are different ways to approach retailing when you have both brick and mortar and online sites; folks still like to handle and see things before they buy, and what WC is running up against is that other web sources are more able to price and ship below WC's markup, as likely as a result the high end handtools don't have much of a turnover in their retail stores. People come in and handle to goods and order online from another vendor. Witness what happened in October when WC put all LN on sale and gave free shipping - large volume, backorders and the retail stores moved goods. Now, makers like LN are setting up their own "events" that rifle shot target their customer base, and selling direct.

I am sure WC is struggling with its cost structure in maintaining and sustaining all the retail stores, franchise or not, and I can imagine that its franchisees are struggling with the franchise fees and putting pressure on WC in that regard. I'm sure they looked at the LV model and must have concluded that they have to contract manufacture something unique and different, higher quality, but lower cost than reselling LN or Veritas, where margins are thinner, and the Woodriver brand is the result. I don't know that the franchise model of brick and mortar is sustainable in this type of evolving marketing environment, but we'll see. WC just better hope that LV doesn't open stores in the US, as LV would eat WC's lunch, and dinner.....

As far as I know, most Woodcraft stores are franchise stores so a lot depends on the person who owns the store.

I have absolutely nothing but good things to say about my local store (in Stanton, CA) and the owner, Ingko Oetomo. He's been more than fair to me on many occasions - a more honest, hardworking guy you'll never find. The people who work there have all been there for many years, which to me says he treats his employees fairly, also. And they know their stuff. I wish all stores were run like Ingko runs his Woodcraft store.

I highly recommend the store and Ingko to any woodworker who needs supplies.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Hyman View Post
    I second Rick's comments. The guys here in the Atlanta store as well as other stores around the southeast seem to be very helpful, especially to one whom is still early in this "woodworking process".
    Yep - good people there. Not my primary destination, because I'm only 12 mintues from Highland, but I do go there a few times a year. My issue was only with the reported WC corporate shenanigans, and certainly not with the support and integrity of local franchisees and their talented people.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.