Thread: 56Degree Bevel

56Degree Bevel

Hi Everyone,
    New member, 1st post! How can I rip a 56 degree bevel on the edge of some 8quarter stock? The bevel gauge on my table saw only goes to 45degrees.

Thanks for your help,
    Joe Mc
    Last edited by Joe MC Donnell; 10-06-2004 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Incorrect degree reading

How long and how much of this you gonna do?

For a lot of them, you can build a tapered sled for the TS....

...freehand it on the bandsaw with a helper offbearing then run it over the jointer for one or two....

...or you can use a hand plane for one shortie.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Make a 45° sled and set your saw at 11°.

Edited to say saw should be set to 79°
    Last edited by Dave Shaffer; 10-06-2004 at 10:59 PM. Reason: typo
    If it aint broke...Take it apart and see how it works.

Cutting the 56degree bevel

On most table saws the bevel adjustment reads "0 degrees" when you cut the wood at 90 degrees. Setting the adjustment to 34 degrees should actually produce a 56 degree bevel.
    Last edited by Ralph Barhorst; 10-07-2004 at 11:56 AM. Reason: made a mistake

Yep, Ralph has it--most of it. Mark your intended angle on the wood (just get it close) and set the blade to 90 - 56 = 34 orient the piece correctly to get that angle. This means, of course, that the 8/4 piece will have it's ~2" thickness side on the table top and the width of the piece will ride against the fence. This might present some safety problems for cutting.

If your saw is a right-tilt, you might need to move the fence (or mount a quickie fence) to the other side of the blade. You may also need an auxilliary fence--similar to what is used for cutting rabbets.

Just be careful and thoughful with the set up and you should be fine. You might also use a hand saw to remove most of the waste and clean it up on the table-saw.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Hmmm...Maybe we are looking at it different. Sounds like your saying 56° is 34° off of streight up. I was looking at 56° off of streight up. The reason I am thinking 56° off of streight up is because Joe said "The bevel gauge on my table saw only goes to 45degrees."

Maybe we need a clarification of what a 56° bevel is refering to.
    If it aint broke...Take it apart and see how it works.