Thread: Benchtop Drill Press

Benchtop Drill Press

I am in the market for a benchtop drill press. Looking for opinions of what to look for. Does anyone have the 12" Craftsman? I took a look at it and for the price ($160) it looks good. Here is the link to the model in question.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00921912000

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Paul Dell'Anno; 10-06-2004 at 9:08 PM.

Paul,
    If you can swing it, get a floor model, that is full size. (not the "display)
    I have a 12" Delta bench top unit. It works well and has done all I have needed, though has a little more runout than I'd like. However, since bench space is usually at a premium, I put it on a stand with mobile base. The actual footprint however is much larger than it's stand alone cousin. I am starting to look at different models, though it's down the list a little ways.
    Just my $.02.

Paul, I made do with a Craftsman bench top model when I started woodworking and got my share of use out of it. Eventually, the frustration of it's small size and under-powered moter overwhelmed me and I sprung for a full-sized floor model. Depending on the type of woodworking you do, this may be a better route for you. Grizzly has some really nice units around $250 shipped. It really depends on what you plan to use it for.

Best of luck and let us know (and see) what you decide on.

Be well,

Doc

Go with the Craftsman Bench Press

I used to have a floor model Delta drill press, and it was great. I recently got rid of it and replaced it with the 12-inch Craftsman benchtop drill press you are thinking about. Both units are great, but have different uses.

if you are ever thinking about getting a mortising attachment, then go with a floor model. Otherwise, I love my benchtop press.

I had the Delta benchtop, and sold it to get a floor model. The benchtop is very heavy, so you can't move it around much. The motors tend to be small, and so is the table. They don't have much travel, so you have to position everything at just the right height. Get one with the threaded rod depth stop, as they are better then the circular ones.

Bob

I've been looking at that model also. My biggest concern is that it has a 1/2 inch quill instead of the larger 5/8. That could cause a problem finding things like a mortising attachment. Someone mentioned that is was under powered and I would like to hear more about that.

Since moritise and tenon joints loom heavily in my future I haven't taken the plunge and purchased it yet. I really don't have space for the floor models so I may end up getting this one and a dedicated mortise machine. If I could just make up my mind, find the money and convince SWMBO.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Benchtop vs Floor. I guess it all depends on what you are going to use it for. I have a small Delta benchtop and it works great for making small holes in small stock. I have it mounted to a mobile table and it easily goes wherever I want it. However, there are times in which it would be nice to have more power, more table space, more height. I have a dedicated mortiser so that part of it doesn't figure in to it.

Paul...in my old shop space was at a premium. I bought a cheap benchtop. In my new shop it won't be as scarce. I intend on buying a floor model. My neighbor bought one used. Great price, good quality and didn't pay much for it. I find there has been too many times my bench top model wasn't tall enough, it didn't have enough travel and the table wasn't big enough for what I wanted to do. If your need isn't immediate and you have the space, I'd wait until I had the money to spring for a floor model.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I had that model Craftsman and for a while it did what I needed... but I got frustrated with the limited qull travel when drilliing certain pen kits.... I recently upgraded to the Delta 350 VS bench top when it was on sale at Lowes... I love it. It has a longer 3.5" quill travel and the variable speed makes drilling and trimming blanks a breeze... no more constantly changing the belts to get the speeds I need.... been using it for the last 2 months and have done over 50 pens, perfume applicators and keychains without a problem... the sucker is heavy though and has a dedicated spot on the workbench... but I planned that spot when the bench was constructed...
    Tom Mullane
    Hagerstown, MD
    If you work with your hands you are a laborer
    If you work with your hands and head you are a craftsmwn
    If you work with your hands, head and heart you are an artist

I pretty much have to echo what everyone else said. It'll do for some things, but low power, short quill travel and 12" between the chuck and post severly limit its usefulness. If you look around you can get a pretty nice floor model for not much more than you are paying for the Sears.

As to the power thing. My 12" Sears had a 5/8 hp motor and after using my 3/4 hp Jet, all I can say about Sears' claim is "no way". I had to dril 15 3/8" holes in some 1/4" aluminum stock with the sears and it took 3-4 hours. After 2-3 holes the motor would heat up and quit turning as soon as the bit entered the stock. I'd let it cool down and do a couple more holes.
    Last edited by Dennis McDonaugh; 10-07-2004 at 1:21 PM. Reason: adding more info
    Dennis

Paul,

Check out Ketih Outten's post in the Classified section...he is selling a monsterish Griz benchtop drill press. He is in VA...dunno where you are.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.