View Poll Results: Finishing room 8x8 or 8x10 in a 720 sq. ft. shop?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - build that finishing room

23 82.14%
  • No - it's a waste of space

5 17.86%
  • Don't finish - leave all projects in an unfinished state

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finishing Room

Jeff Jewitt's book (well, one of 'em) has a little write up on a portable spray booth made in tri-fold fashion of plywood and is complete with an exhaust fan.

I don't like Steve's suggestion and beg you to NOT go for it....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Waste of space---you do not really have any to waste.
    If I was building several hundred peices of furniture a year and was using a sprayer them I would have a paint booth
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

I didn't vote as I vote "Yes finishing area, but don't make it so permanent". If you find yourself finishing and WWing at the same time, a separate area could improve efficiency tremendously. Since you're not spraying, all you need is some plastic to keep the dust out. I say make it temporary. Wood frames covered in plastic or something like that. If you find that you would like it more permanent, just install some walls. Interior walls are fairly easy to add/delete.

I thought about the same thing. Since I'm usually in a one project at a time mode, I decided that having the extra room while WWing would be good. I'll keep my machines mobile and go into finishing configuration when the time comes. But, I want to spray, so I'll have to setup a temporary booth of some sort.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

I would not make a finishing room. I would install an exhaust fan in a corner of the shop to take care of fumes and odors. Using a wipe on finish dust really isn't an issue nor is it much of one for shellac since it dries so quickly. Granted brushing poly or varnish dust is a problem but even with the typical finish room it still is. If you get to spraying you will probably be using products that dry faster so it still isn't a problem. I think the drop down curtains are a good idea. Steve
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Jeff Jewitt's book (well, one of 'em) has a little write up on a portable spray booth made in tri-fold fashion of plywood and is complete with an exhaust fan.

I don't like Steve's suggestion and beg you to NOT go for it....
    Brother Chris. Mom doesn't like it when we fuss at each other.

Steve

Wink The Clardy Feud?

Jeez.....now the Clardy twins are squabbling??????? I just wanted opinions and or advice.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Now Steve.........................dint Mom tell ya that it is not nice to pick on someone that is smaller than you?

(Which in Chris's case means NONE of us should be pickin' on him..............it ain't his fault he is a RUNT!)

The Clardy Feud? <hr style="color: rgb(209, 209, 225);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> Jeez.....now the Clardy twins are squabbling??????? I just wanted opinions and or advice.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig --> _________ Now Steve.........................dint Mom tell ya that it is not nice to pick on someone that is smaller than you?

(Which in Chris's case means NONE of us should be pickin' on him..............it ain't his fault he is a RUNT!)
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig --> LOL on boths counts. What I don't understand is, is why Chris is only 4' tall, and we are twins?
    Steve. Having fun

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Ken, I voted no in your poll. It’s not that I think it is a waste of space, I just wouldn’t be willing to dedicate that much square footage to it . I have found that leaving a good air cleaner running for a few hours to remove airborne dust works quite well for finishing.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Fraternal twins...fraternal....

Twins? Fraternal, paternal or otherwise ( ), all I can say is, "Whew! What a pair to draw to!"
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Oh Oh. MOM ain't gonna like that statement Chris.

Steve

I dont know how many times I have been wanting to building something else...while "something else" is still cureing from a fresh coat of whatever. If I had the ability to have a finishing room...I would have one.

Donnie,

I'm the opposite...once I get a finish on, I'm only too happy to leave the shop for a bit!!

In my future 1,000 sqft shop I toyed with the same idea and decided that I would invest in some uni-strut, bearing guides and make a curtain arrangement where I can close of the overspray when finishing and then open when not. This would allow for sharing space. Think of it like a hospital and the privacy curtains.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs