Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Latest Issue of Woodworking

Latest Issue of Woodworking

Is it me, or is this one of the most disappointing issues of a magazine ever printed. Its got exactly 2 projects. One is a stool that is kind of neat but nothing spectacular. The other is a shaker bench that has exactly 5 pieces of wood nailed together that could easily be in my daughter's kids woodworking book. Theres an article about "rethinking" handplanes, and one on BLO and IIRC, that's about it.

It gets worse

It sounds like you were at least able to read yours. I only received about 3/4 of mine ( minor publishing glitch, apparently):

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Watts; 12-09-2009 at 8:28 PM.

Hi Matt:

I gave up on that magazine many,many months ago. In addition , I no longer get American Woodworker, Woodworkers Journal or Wood Magazine.
    I think they are all suffering from the budget crisis.
    Good Luck:
    Don Selke

Julius A. Dooman & Son Woodworking
    My Mentor, My teacher. "Gone but not forgotton"

Blog Entries

Wink ya, they really laid an egg this time...

Spot-on Matt,
    I really like the magazine, and there have been some strong issues,
    but this current one is a dud for my taste.

I've started clockwatching when I open a fresh magazine, to try to get a sense of bang for a buck.
    I blazed this one from cover to cover in no time flat.
    And, I was none too entertained during the ride either.

I also found the projects weak.
    Sure, they can't all be diamonds... but this one left me underwhelmed too.

For me, I find that I get railroaded into duds by subscribing.
    If I had to make a purchase decision, standing at the newstand with this
    issue of the magazine in hand, I could have easily resisted dragging it home.(where I am doomed to warehousing it forever)

Not a fan of sour grapes, but I have started letting some of my wood mag
    subscriptions lapse. I am gonna go back to the days where I do not buy them all.
    And you gotta convince me, one issue at a time, to part with my money. Even less attractive at the high cover rates.
    So they better offer me some appealling content, to get my money.

I have some questions about who is running that show...
    but I'll bite my tongue, discretion being the better part of valour.
    better luck next mag,
    Walt
    There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going! WCC

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss

Crohn's takes guts. WCC

+1 - very poor attempt on this one. I cancelled my FWW and for the amount of my refund bought WW and PWW. I have been fairly satisfied with PWW - not so much with WW, particularly this issue!

I think I am where Walt is. When these run out I am done. There is only so much time, and when I figure in the minutes (OK, hours!) that I am on SMC, and other research related computer time, my shop time begins to suffer.

I have also discovered that with my old age senility, I can pull a handful of old FWW issues from the shelf, and it is like I have never seen them before!

IIRC Chris Schwarz's blog recently apologized for him being a crummy editor etc recently due to all the time he put into the new book he co-wrote with Joel Moskowitz. Maybe an acknowledgment that this issue isn't up to par.

I hear you on letting them lapse. I let FWW lapse because IMHO it is not worth $35/year. Cover price is up to $8 and no issue has been worth that. Maybe I'll start going to the library to read it but I'm no longer a paying reader. I think I renewed Wood after letting it lapse for a while because my daughter's Brownie troop had a magazine sale. I also ordered Woodshop News for something different to try. I still get Pop Woodworking and am basically satisfied.

Woodworking was great to start and seems to have been getting weaker but really hit the skids this time.

I let Woodworking lapse several months ago at the time I thought it was just me. I am still happy with PW.
    Last edited by Sam Hatfield; 12-09-2009 at 9:29 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    +1 - very poor attempt on this one. I cancelled my FWW and for the amount of my refund bought WW and PWW. I have been fairly satisfied with PWW - not so much with WW, particularly this issue!

I think I am where Walt is. When these run out I am done. There is only so much time, and when I figure in the minutes (OK, hours!) that I am on SMC, and other research related computer time, my shop time begins to suffer.

I have also discovered that with my old age senility, I can pull a handful of old FWW issues from the shelf, and it is like I have never seen them before!
    Don't mean to steal the thread, but, John, nice new avatar.

Come on,guys! they said the Chinese stool was TRICKY! I let mine lapse too. Surprised that I am still getting them.

I picked up a copy of Woodworking today at a store while waiting to get new tires. Inside it says they no longer sell subscriptions. And as I recall they are only going to print once a year I think.

I think you might have picked up woodwork. This is a magazine that died, and is trying to rise from the dead. http://www.woodwork-magazine.com/

Woodworking magazine is associated with popular woodworking. http://popularwoodworking.com/wwmhomepage

I like it, and enjoyed this issue, though I agree others have been better. I hope it continues.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    Don't mean to steal the thread, but, John, nice new avatar.
    Jim, it was time folks saw another side of me - the front! With 13 grandkids, we have literally thousands of pics on our computer, and I think there are two of me, and now you have seen both!

14. Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I hear you on letting them lapse. I let FWW lapse because IMHO it is not worth $35/year. Cover price is up to $8 and no issue has been worth that. Maybe I'll start going to the library to read it but I'm no longer a paying reader. I think I renewed Wood after letting it lapse for a while because my daughter's Brownie troop had a magazine sale. I also ordered Woodshop News for something different to try. I still get Pop Woodworking and am basically satisfied.

Woodworking was great to start and seems to have been getting weaker but really hit the skids this time.
    I do all of my editing at Barnes and Nobel. That way if I find a good issue I can purchase it and have it for later reference.

The only subscription I now have is Wood.

The only subscription I have left is to Woodsmith. It always has well-drawn plans for the projects. I just finished building the workbench on the cover of No. 173.

And it has no advertising!

Otherwise, I peruse the usual suspects at Barnes and Noble. It's been a few months since any of them caught my fancy.
    Trees. Tools. Time.