Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Hole Joinery Flush Problem(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Brogger View Post
    ..Yeah, don't use a Kreg jig...
    Would you or Frank expound on this a bit? The Kreg jig just bores a hole. As far as I understand, the bigger machines bore a similar hole, but do it faster. What am I missing here? How is the hole different with them?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Would you or Frank expound on this a bit? The Kreg jig just bores a hole. As far as I understand, the bigger machines bore a similar hole, but do it faster. What am I missing here? How is the hole different with them?
    unless you're drilling really deep, which I don't think is a good idea, the pilot hole is not completely drill through. That means that the screw is going to be biting on both pieces, when all it needs to do is pull the two together.

The Ritter boring tub is the only other full sized machine that I've used. It uses a similar action and bit as the Kreg jig, but semi automated. Really painful to use as the clamp comes up from the bottom and you have to adjust a stop for different thickness material. I have not used the smaller Porter Cable model. I'm not sure how the pocket is made with those, but I "think" its a similar action as the Castle, but you have to actuate it manually by hand.

The pocket, and the pilot hole look nothing alike what the Kreg jig produces with a Castle machine. The Castle cuts the slot with a straight router bit, then drills the pilot hole from the opposite edge. Gives you a super low angle. That's the key. And they are unbelievably faster than doing it manually with a drill. You can adjust every facet of it too, from the depth of the pocket, to how far it traveles, and the depth of the pilot hole. Castle's are pretty much the industry standard, at least around here.

I like to use a center punch through the drilled holes into the other piece after clamping to positively locate where the screws start. This seems to help a lot, along with making sure there isn't any leftover blowout between the clamped pieces.

The one thing that has helped me is to keep the angle of the screw as shallow as possible. Use the longest square driver your have (I am using the 5-6 inch one from the master kit) and keep it and your driver as close to the face frame as possible. It seems to have less tendency to shift the other piece out of alignment.

Roger

Next time I clamp face frames I think I'm going to add tape to the clamp face about half way across on opposing sides to shim the frame into alignment...
    ken

the big porter cable pocket cutters show up on craigslist every once in a while while the smaller single router pocket cutters show up on ebay quite often. steve clardy is a frequent contributor and makes a pretty good machine that's BYOR (bring your own router). you will have a much easier time flushing the joints up with the standard kreg clamps.

I hate to say it in this thread, but I've never experienced ANY mis-alignment because I clamp both pieces very securely before screwing together. I've never used a Kreg jig. I suffered along with cheap-o single or double drill guides and a nice 3/8" Kreg pockethole bit for quite a few years.

Then I stepped up to a Porter Cable 552 machine, which routes both the 3/8 slot and drills pilot hole in the end grain piece. Auger-point FF screws drill their own hole into the long-grain piece. Porter Cable pocket holes are a a more gentle angle than Kreg jig produces, and less chance for vertical misalignment.

Now pardon as I digress: The Big Boys use a 4x8 pneumatic clamping table (Castle, Kreg, Ritter, etc.) for FF construction. Considering their hi prices, these are really lo-tek except for the travelling arm and pneumatic clamps. All have a tubular steel frame, and smooth, non-stick melamine table mounted at a steep angle. Odd that none of the industrial tables have any horizontal clamping; only vertical!

Go the big boys one better, and use wooden *cams* with steel center pins, inserted into the peg holes to exert end-to-end pressure on the joint(s). A movable track (stolen from the industrial versions) provide downward pressure over the joints. (Jorgensen veneer press screws?) Bottom and side edges would mount solid wood or metal straight-edges exactly square to each other.

At the home shop level, a 3'x6' table of 1/4" pegboard (2 layers) over a torsion-box frame would suffice. Hinge it to the wall for flat storage! Or, put it on a heavy-duty pivoting frame (like those mobile black boards) and flip to the other side as a panel clamping table!!

It's all in my head (and my doodle notebook)! A trip to the junkyard for some used angle iron and I'll be in business!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

I've not been impressed with the Kreg jigs I've used so far, but as this is a hobby for me, I can't justify anything more expensive. I've found that I can get good results by using a parrellel clamp on the ends like Mark describes. I also use two face clamps, one on each side.

FWIW, I have a cheap pocket hole jig from HF that I like better than my Kreg. I also find that the face clamps from HF are easier to use than the Kreg ones (and less than half the price too).

Pocket holes

I've always used biscuits and biscuit slots coupled with my Kreg jig as a way to get better alignment when attaching a frame to a cabinet side or panel. I have not used it for something that has to be dead on accurate though.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Brubaker View Post
    Been using pocket hole joinery for awhile and every time I use it I seem to have a problem with the pieces flushing out on the face. Yes, I use the Kreg clamps - both the 90° in the drilled pocket hole and regular for holding it flat to the surface ..... but ....... always seems to be a variable result with more times than not the face being slightly offset on one side of the joint from the other due to the screws at an angle in the pocket. Perhaps I need to REALLY crank down on the clamps?
    Any others having similar problems ...... or solutions. I know this is a very popular method, and I do love it, but am frustrated with the seeming lack of repeatable accuracy and flush face joints if I don't pay REAL CLOSE attention to each and every joint (which should be done anyway!).
    Feedback, comments, ideas greatly appreciated!

When I make face frames with the Kreg, I start with 7/8" thick stock, join all pieces and then run the entire face frame (26" or narrower) through the double drum sander, down to 3/4" thick. Works slicker 'n snot!

On larger face frames, the offset is never so great that it can't be touched up with the random orbital sander, and I've been using hickory for my kitchen cabinets. Just clamp tightly and run in the screw slowly.

kreuzie

David,
    Interesting take on this. A drum sander is on my "christmas list"!
    How are you finding the Hickory to work with? I'm doing my first set "quicky" set of cabinets in oak right now with the Hickory already purchased for the "real" ones in the laundry room. I love the Hickory and the pocket system ... just seems to be "finicky" ..... the Hickory seems to be a bit "nasty" to work with, primarily due to the coarse grain.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kreuzberg View Post
    When I make face frames with the Kreg, I start with 7/8" thick stock, join all pieces and then run the entire face frame (26" or narrower) through the double drum sander, down to 3/4" thick. Works slicker 'n snot!

On larger face frames, the offset is never so great that it can't be touched up with the random orbital sander, and I've been using hickory for my kitchen cabinets. Just clamp tightly and run in the screw slowly.

kreuzie
    I am both an Architect & Woodworker .......
    As Architect, I don't make mistakes .... I plant vines;
    As Woodworker, I don't make mistakes .... I "meant" it to be that way;
    Then there are some of my clients that are Doctors ...... they get to bury their mistakes.

Flush or Not Flush

Hi Don,
    Here's another thought: Since the hole in the drilled peice doesn't go completely through, it could be (big question mark here) the "pushed out" wood fibers are "pushing" against the screw tip as it engages the joining peice. To correct this, drill completly through the peice so that when the screw engages the joining peice, the tip will have nothing in its way as it begins to burrow its way in.
    Good luck,
    Bob

Pocket Hole drilling modification

Bob,
    This is a very interesting concept. Still have the angle issue wanting to push it out of flush, but there is definitely more wood it is pushing on that is "aiding and abetting"!

Wondering why Kreg didn't make the drill do this, though perhaps the obvious reason is that the bit is made for multiple application sizes.
    I'm going to experiment with this.
    Maybe you've come up with a winner!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carreiro View Post
    Hi Don,
    Here's another thought: Since the hole in the drilled peice doesn't go completely through, it could be (big question mark here) the "pushed out" wood fibers are "pushing" against the screw tip as it engages the joining peice. To correct this, drill completly through the peice so that when the screw engages the joining peice, the tip will have nothing in its way as it begins to burrow its way in.
    Good luck,
    Bob
    I am both an Architect & Woodworker .......
    As Architect, I don't make mistakes .... I plant vines;
    As Woodworker, I don't make mistakes .... I "meant" it to be that way;
    Then there are some of my clients that are Doctors ...... they get to bury their mistakes.

My fix for this problem was to use a clamp to clamp the pieces flush (usually to the assembly table) and an additional clamp to clamp the pieces together. Picture on Bessey clamp standing upright clamping the pieces down to the table and another flat to clamp them left to right.

I was getting some shift because the piece would push away just a fuzz before the screw started.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

So I have a ton of the Kreg stuff and have been VERY happy with it. I use a Kreg Foreman mostly and I adjust the bit to just come through the wood and clear that hole. I do the same with my K3. I use the Kreg Clamp table as well and I get perfect flush 90 degree joints. There is really nothing to that clamp table that clamping the pieces together and on the same plane cannot get you.

Try drilling through with the bit just clearing the hole.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.