Thread: Bansia Pod Ornament

Bansia Pod Ornament

I tried something a little different. I hollowed out a banksia pod, made a top and bottom out of maple and dyed it with Rit dye. Inside is one of those battery operated tea light candles. I left a little of the fuzz on for effect. It's about 5 inches tall. What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Greg Just; 12-11-2009 at 11:44 PM. Reason: typo

I think it is more than "a little different". I had to google bansia pod but didn't search long enough to find a picture of one in its natural state. My wife and her sisters seem to be enamored with stuffing lights into wine bottles or glass blocks. This definitely has a whole lot more class! Great idea!

Very nice!

I like it a lot. I think I might prefer it with a longer finial on the bottom, but it's great as is.

Nice ornament. Really interesting.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

It looks like it is on fire. Great effect.

Roy
    Walk fast and look worried.

I like original ideas and I think you hit a home run with this one.
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Hi all,

I saw this ornament at our local woodturners Christmas party last week and it looks really nice. It looks good in the picture but it's even nicer in person.

Doug
    Last edited by Doug W Swanson; 12-12-2009 at 2:01 PM. Reason: typo

Great idea! Nicely done!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I like it a lot, a cool idea
    Tioraidh an-drasda (gaelic for Cheerio just now)
    Colin .
    One good turn deserves another,

I have a couple of banksia pods waiting for me to get creative with them and this looks cool. Just one question - How durable is that fuzz going to be? I'm guessing that since it has been on there a long time already that it will proly be ok, but it has not been exposed.

xeddog

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Smith View Post
    I think it is more than "a little different". I had to google bansia pod but didn't search long enough to find a picture of one in its natural state. My wife and her sisters seem to be enamored with stuffing lights into wine bottles or glass blocks. This definitely has a whole lot more class! Great idea!
    Search on "Banksia Pod"

You'll find plenty. Rockler sells them, among others.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Jolly View Post
    I have a couple of banksia pods waiting for me to get creative with them and this looks cool. Just one question - How durable is that fuzz going to be? I'm guessing that since it has been on there a long time already that it will proly be ok, but it has not been exposed.

xeddog
    Wayne:

I think the fuzz will be ok, the one drawback is that you cannot apply a finish to the pod. I have made other ornaments where I completely removed the fuzz and then used a spray finish that really makes the wood pop. Also, you have to becareful turning the pods on the inside as any little catch and pod will explode. This one broke into 2 pieces, but super glue made it one again.

Thanks John. When I just tried it, the Rockler site came right up. Whatever word I put in yesterday came up as something you grind up and make coffee out of. Read that on several links including one from Amazon. Won't do it now so I don't know what I was spelling!

Baxter