Kerosene heaters are good as a supplemental heat source. The liabilities of Kerosene heat are significant and most have been mentioned already. I drag out my kerosene heater on the extra cold snaps that we have a few times each winter when it gets below zero in the high desert of Central Oregon. It is effective at just getting it warmed up to the workable comfort zone. Then I shut it down.

Finishing and glue-ups simply need a moderate temperature base to avoid the snags and unpredictable outcomes that will lead to time consuming corrective work. The kerosene heat source gives the shop a temperature boost and takes the strain off of my main electric coil heater.

Here is a tip. It seems that most of the odor from my wick burning kerosene heater comes at start up and shut down of the heater. It smokes for a minute and the odor is quite strong. I reinforced my handle so I can confidently carry the heater out on the stoop to light it up and allow that smoky start up smell to vent away before bringing it in the shop. Then I take it back outside to shut it down once the shop gets to a workable temp. I really don't notice the odor if I am diligent in observing those two easy precautions. Also, get a barbecue starter with a long reach and you won't have to get on your knees to light it.