Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing shipping grease

Removing shipping grease

Just got a Grizzly G0586 8" jointer. I am having trouble removing the packing grease used to protect the machined surfaces from rusting. The outfeed table had grease and plastic that looks like plastic was in contact with machined surface. I tried WD40 and I am letting another application soak into the grease to see if this will soften it.

Any other idea greatly welcome.

Thanks

Brian

WD40 can work great on thin applications of cosmoline. But, Grizzly likes to slather it on thicker than most. In those cases, kerosene is what I use and it works very well...much better than anything else I've tried.
    Where will you be when you get where you're going? -- Jerry Clower

Try a little heat.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

I've had good luck beginning with Commercial 409 from Lowes, along with a small mountain of paper towels. After getting the bulk of the cosmoline off, I follow up with WD40. And then the obligatory 2 - 3 coats of Johnson's Paste Wax. YMMV, but it works for me.

I've had my best results with naphtha based cleaning fluids, or lighter fluid...doesn't take much, and as it's pretty slow to evaporate, it'll hold the dissolved grease in suspension till you can wipe it off.
    Mickey

Blog Entries
    On my Griz jointer I used rubber gloves and paper towels to get the bulk of it off. I then used mineral spirits on the paper towels disposing of used towels frequently. the spiral head was the real challenge; I raised the tables, sprayed on some mineral spirits, covered the opening with a board (the head was way below the board) and fired it up. I used a nylon brush to get the leftovers. Once the goo was gone, I cleaned up with more MS and waxed it up good.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Gun cleaning supplies are what I use to take any grease off my new toys, guns included. I buy Tipton gun degreaser by the gallon to use on all my bolt action precision rifles. Well, come to find out that this stuff is great for cutting through cosmoline packing grease that all my new toys seem to be caked with durring shipping.

I used a plastic putty knife on my Grizzly Jointer followed by WD40 and a rag, it went rather quickly. That was last year though, they may be using a different cosmoline/grease now.

Plastic scraper and then kerosene. Worked like a charm.
    Proud to Hate Michigan Athletics Since 1981

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+1 for the Kerosene.

I start with wd40. I take the stubborn stuff off with gun scrubber.

mineral spirits works great easy to find and you don't have to clean it up after you get the grease off

Thanks, not grease rust under grease

Thanks guys.

it wasn't grease, plastic must have stuck to metal and moisture, via condensate, got in. Oh well.

Thanks

Smile Wd40

WD40, blue paper towels, #0000 steel wool cleans a 12" JET Planer/Jointer up in no time . . .

I thought it was going to take all evening . . . Had a little over a hour in the flat surfaces . . .

Steve
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

Anyone ever try brake cleaner?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale