Thread: Need recommendation for drill press

Need recommendation for drill press

I've been struggling with a portable drill trying to drill perpendicular and straight holes. Even with those stabilizing attachments, it can't be done. I need to purchase a drill press. Can anyone make recommendations. I want to get the DP that will drill holes, nothing fancy. I just screwed up my router table plate because I could not get the holes in perpendicular. Any advice would be much appreciated. Looking for value for money, but not a cheap throw away.

Thanks,

Darren

Need a bit more information:

--A bench or a floor drill press?

--About how much do you want to spend?

I think a bench press would suffice. I'm not really sure. I have never used a press before. As for price, really as little as possible, again, but that does not mean cheap. I'd say, up to $200.

Darren

Criagslist...

If I were you, I'd keep my eye out on Craigslist... You live in Wisconsin, correct? If so, a quick search in CL yielded the following posts which you might want to explore (I didnt spend a lot of time looking at them, these are just examples of listings to peruse):

http://greenbay.craigslist.org/tls/1506985168.html
    http://greenbay.craigslist.org/tls/1499516328.html
    http://greenbay.craigslist.org/tls/1470829377.html

Drill presses are one of those things which FREQUENTLY shows up for sale in my area. Keep an eye out over the next couple of weeks, there are real gems out there to be found.

If you are itching to drop cash on a new tool, then there are a lot of bench presses to choose from. But this is an area where a good old press can be a better value than imported junk that is frequently sold today.

Just my 2cents
    Andy

I just picked up a Delta 17-900 floor model that looks as if it just came out of the box for $160 . I do both wood and metal work and my ultimate goal is to have two drill presses. I use to have to use my brothers old bench top unit which is fine for smaller stuff but a pain going to his place and then back to mine. Hand drills just don't cut it for precision.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Vass View Post
    I think a bench press would suffice. I'm not really sure. I have never used a press before. As for price, really as little as possible, again, but that does not mean cheap. I'd say, up to $200.

Darren
    If you go to Sears and join the Craftsman Club (free) they have a bench top Drill Press right now for a member price of $109.99. Having said that, I picked up the following on Craig's List within the last 6 months.

Powermatic 1150 15" DP for $200.00 (painted an ugly shade of light blue but is in working order).

Rockwell-Delta 70-400 20" DP for $90.00 (needs minor hairline cracks in the production table repaired and the rack and handle raising mechanism replaced).

If I were you I would just have cash in hand and wait for a CL deal.

Steve

I have been using a 12" bench top unit Craftsman unit for about 2 years now and have to say I am impressed. I first thought the digital depth readout was a waste but after playing with it I have to say it works great and now I love it. In fact, I've gotten so used to having it I haven't upgraded to a bigger floor unit because no one else has one on their drill press (that I have found). I haven't done much with metal other than drilling some 3/8" thick stainless angle, but it worked great on that too. If going bench top, I would give it a strong recommendation.

Otherwise I agree on watching CL, drill presses pop up all the time on there and can be had for cheap.

Mike

Dont know if you are near a Tractor Supply but yesterday I saw a fairly decent entry level drillpress w/laser for $169 I think it was. 12 speed. Not a bad drill press at all really. I cant say as to the ruggedness of it though having not owned one of that brand.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Thanks to all the great suggestions. I've never thought of CL, but will keep my out on it for deals. Thanks again.

Darren

What do you think of this drill

This seems to be a good deal, at least no worse than the other similar models, sold by different vendors.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43378

Any thoughts?

Darren