Thread: bandsaw box from scraps

bandsaw box from scraps

I needed to take a break from carving 40 volutes on the arm rests of my chairs so i decided to make a bandsaw box. I found some oddly shaped off cuts that make for an interesting shape. Here are a few photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sean m. titmas; 12-13-2009 at 8:37 PM.
    S.M.Titmas.

"...I had field experience, a vocabulary and a criminal mind, I was a danger to myself and others."

-Anthony Bourdain

That is a neat idea to use up scrap. I hate to see a piece of wood get tossed and usually make small bowl blanks out of scrap but now have another way to try. Thanks for posting.

That is very cool. Thanks for sharing.
    "There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness." - Dave Barry

Pretty neat, Sean. Is that mahogany?

You know, with just a little work, those could have been shaped into boots/shoes! Then, you would have had "shoe boxes!!"

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Pretty neat, Sean. Is that mahogany?

You know, with just a little work, those could have been shaped into boots/shoes! Then, you would have had "shoe boxes!!"

16/4 pattern cut genuine mahogany.

Stop it John, thats my million dollar idea! actually that was the inspiration for the box. when i saw the scrap hit the floor from the bandsaw table it landed right side up next to my foot and i said to myself "Self? that looks like a shoe"

how often do you get Kenny Rogers?
    S.M.Titmas.

"...I had field experience, a vocabulary and a criminal mind, I was a danger to myself and others."

-Anthony Bourdain

That is an awesome idea, wish I'd though of that a few years ago when my father was making 36" to 48" air compressor pistons; could have had some neat boxes from those scraps!

Looking great Sean....
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Great use of the scraps Sean!

Thanks for the replys guys.
    These scraps are from my chair project for the Ringling Museum. The curator and director came to the shop for a visit yesterday to see the progress and noticed the scrap blocks and asked if they were part of the chairs. I explained that they were actually just the scraps. So when the curator said that it was such a shame to have so much waste of beautiful wood i showed her the one that was made into the box and you would of thought she just found the Holy Grail by the expression on her face. Seizing the moment to promote myself, I took the box and quickly signed and dated the bottom and put a stack of business cards in it and presented it to her. Lets hope it generates some interest in my shop among the museum crowd.
    S.M.Titmas.

-Anthony Bourdain