Thread: keyboard tray

keyboard tray

Yesterday I got the Bot squared up and installed the table, and milled it flat. I used a sheet of 3/4" cabinet grade plywood and two (oversize by 1 inch) sheets of 3/4" MDF. I screwed both sheets of MDF down together to the base using 1-5/8" coarse thread drywall screws.

Last night I generated tool paths and cut a 5"x7" Jagermeister logo but I won't post pics due to copyright. Fun project cut with two V-Carve tool-paths, and a 60 degree 1" diameter V bit. Got to use the trace bitmap feature in Vcarve Pro.

The following is a keyboard tray I designed, generated tool paths for, and cut today, and is a part of a larger project. Tomorrow I will make a mount for my LCD, and a swivel stand that will be bolted to the bot, and will support the keyboard tray and LCD mount.

In this project I got to run quite a number of different tool-paths, setup as two files, with two bits. Also much larger using a 24"x48" piece of 3/4" MDF.

I started with a 60 degree 1" diameter V bit and squared/zeroed my X/Y using the bits sharp point. With that bit installed I ran a file with V-Carve tool-paths to cut my lettering and pilot/countersink holes for screws to hold the sheet down.

The rest of the project was cut with a 1/2" straight bit. In order the file ran a drilling, then pocketing, and then profile paths with tabs for the through cuts. The circular cutouts were setup as pockets so the waste would be cut out with no need to tab or hold down.

I then cut out the tabs with my bosh colt laminate trimmer with a 3/8" flush trim bit.

Probably got a bit of carried away with this as you will see in the pictures, but I have never had so much fun with woodworking.

Bonus prize if you can find the broken quick grip on the floor in one of the pictures. Broke it with the bot yesterday
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Michael Schwartz; 12-13-2009 at 11:25 PM.
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.

here are the rest of the pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Michael Schwartz; 12-13-2009 at 11:15 PM.

Blog Entries
    Someone has been having fun!

Beer holder huh? I might need to relocate and come work for you, I have to keep my beer in the office!
    Thinking outside the box is one thing, being able to accomplish what you think of, is another.

Software Rhino 3.0 & 4.0, Corel 12, Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, Parts Wizard, Visual Mill 5.0 & 6.0, Rhino CAM/Art, Claytools, Microsoft Word, Notepad.
    Access to Hardware CAMaster 510 ATC w/4th Axis 8' Lathe, Kitako 10 Spindle CNC 4th Axis Carving Machine, Polhemus FastScan and LDI Surveyor 3500 Laser Scanners, Sensable Haptics.

that looks like a excellent start, i have a full blown OSHA inspection (i will try to video it for you) and i spent all weekend checking programs (prepping for the bar exam) so the beer holders would not fly here today!

jim

Great idea, Michael. It looks good and it's great to see you cutting already!
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

Quote Originally Posted by james mcgrew View Post
    that looks like a excellent start, i have a full blown OSHA inspection (i will try to video it for you) and i spent all weekend checking programs (prepping for the bar exam) so the beer holders would not fly here today!

jim
    Good luck, hope everything turns out well from the inspection. Just put an eye wash holder sticker on the beer holders when OSHA shows up

Nice Michal
    OSHA will never know with the proper disguise!

Jim hope the "bar exam" goes well (my wife is taking her GRE test on Wed so she can start on her Phd) Must be a week of tests

Nick