Thread: Making a bell ornament

Question Making a bell ornament

All the ornament posts inspired me to give it a try. I wanted to make a small bell shape. Turning the outside was no problem, but cutting the inside is not going too well. I'm cutting into end grain and not having much success. What tools do you use? This is a piece of cherry about 3" in diameter at the mouth. Thanks for any advice.

Rob,

I've got another one on the lathe right now.

I use my spindle gouge. It's freshly sharpened and I take light cuts from the center towards the outer edge with the flute rotated to between 9 and 10 o'clock.

Check out this video.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2000...os.aspx#videos

Though it is directed at turning a goblet, the technique also pertains to the bell ornament too!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 12-15-2009 at 9:52 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Rob I like my hunter tool for doing those. Leaves a really clean surface and not much sanding needed.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Rob,

I do it just like Ken said, with a spindle gouge. I did make a scraper out of a regular bench chisel for cleaning up the bottom and sides. I made the scraper the same shape as the bottom of the bell. There is a good video on Larry Marley's web site that you may want to look at. http://www.marleyturned.com/id94.asp

If you make the bell like Larry, the scraper is also good for scraping the underside of the "leaves" so it fits on top of the bell body.

Steve
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

From your post, I got the idea that you're turning the outside shape first. I find it easier to turn the inside of the bell first. I turn the blank round and cut a tenon on one end to hold it a chuck. Then I use a 5/8" regular twist drill bit marked to the depth I want in a jacobs chuck in the tailstock. I drill the hole and then use either a 1/2" round scraper or a 3/8' spindle gouge, depending on how the wood cuts, and work from the hole outwards until I get the shape I like. After I've got the inside sanded I stick a tight wad of paper towel into the inside of the bell and bring a revolving center in the tailstock up into the paper towel to help support it while I shape the outside and the handle. Then I part it off at the top of the handle, sand off the nub and drill it for an eye hook.

It's about the same as turning a goblet but without the base. Here's a short demo on goblets that tells better with pictures.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ht=turn+goblet
    Last edited by Curt Fuller; 12-15-2009 at 7:41 PM.

Rob, thanks for asking, and Ken, Steven and Curt - thanks for the links. Great tutorial Curt! Only thing missing was that pic of the finished goblet!!

Curt, I am glad I asked the question!! That really turned out nice! Thanks.

I also find, especially if you want really thin walls, that it is easier to do the inside first. I rough shape tha outside in order to "see" the shape I want. Then I cut out the inside. That could be any combination of gouges, scrapers, hook tools, Hunter tool, etc. mostly depending on my mood and other things. Then put a light inside the form and you can easily use the color to help finish turn the outside to a thin, even shape. That way you can do the thinnest part where you have easier access with the tool.