Thread: Lace-making tambour

Lace-making tambour

I recently made a tambour for a woman who makes French lace by hand. The drum-shaped tambor lies sideways across her lap to support the bobbins and lace as she braids it.

My job was to replicate a particular 250 year old tambour featured in a French museum. The photo size of the tambour was 3" in diameter and only a half-view of the carving. She requested the finished ends equal 11" in diameter and carved in the style of that era. She also asked that one end contain a door worked into the design to store the lace as it is braided.

I used local cherry, finishing it with Watco Danish oil. Within 6 months its color will deepen naturally. It now goes to an upholsterer for the cushioning material and leather covering.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You should be proud!

My wife makes bobbin lace, so I know what you made and that was a challenge. That is a lovely piece. How long did it take you to carve and construct? Believe it or not there is a market for those sorts of items and due to the challenge of finding them your name will get spread around ( consider yourself warned). If you decide to do more do not undercharge. There is a good margin in that market, just low demand.

I had a real hard time carving cherry, compared to my normal basswood.
    Nice looking stuff though.

Thanks for sharing,
    Phil B.

Dave....this is a great piece!! Even as a reproduction, I'll bet there are not many like it in the world and the user will enjoy it for sure.

Dave,
    Very well done!

Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Phillip,

I knew nothing about bobbin lace before this project and was very impressed when I saw examples of it. I'd love to see someone in action weaving this type of lace. It looks like it requires a very high skill set and years of experience.

It took me 40 hours overall to carve and construct. Because it was a repeating pattern, it got to be pretty monotonous after awhile.

Thanks for the positive comments.

Great work. Nice job of incorporating the door. She must be proud of your work.