Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What miter gauge do you prefer.

I have an Incra V27 and love it. One of these days, I will get the sled for it too.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick LoDico View Post
    More often than not, I use the OEM gauge which I set using a Miter Set jig which provides perfect accuracy. Other times I use an Incra 3000, an Incra V27 or a sled.
    + 1000 on the Miterset. Will make any OEM gauge accurate. I use the regular one and the one designed to set up for cutting segments for turning.
    These things are amazing. And cheap, too.
    Gene
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

I have the osbourne EB3 and its a very nice and accurate miter gauge

4. What miter gauge do you prefer

I have three that I believe are equally accurate (reliable) for any given setting but I now prefer my Incra V120.

The V120 is dead on and sets firmly in the miter track.

With the other two (Shopsmith), they are also dead on accurate if I use the MiterSet. With just one caveat - the other two have just a little bit of slop in the miter track which detracts from their overall accuracy.

I'm leaning toward the Incra V27.

I don't do that many miters but want them correect when I do. If the V27 works as well as I think, maybe it will got to the router and bandsaw and I upgrade to the 1000SE for the table saw?????

Now I'm looking the the best deal. Limited funds...

Thanks for all your input, Ken
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Blog Entries
    I'll swim against teh tide here.. I have a Kreg miter gauge and have really enjoyed it. It is exceptionally accurate. I used to use a home made miter sled that gave perfect results, but the Kreg is just as accurate. It also works well for 90 degree cuts and has an adjustable stop for repetitive cuts.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Ken - I have an Incra V27 with the Hartville fence attachment, an Osborne EB-3, and a Jet Woodhaven Deluxe. I like all three of them for different reasons, but lately I find myself reaching for the EB-3 the most often. The V27 has got to be the best bang for the buck going at $45-$60....angles to 60°. The Woodhaven is the most robust, but is also the most difficult to change angles on. The EB-3 has an excellent sturdy fence with good capacity...a little on the large side for smaller work but it an excellent gauge and good value IMHO.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

For really accurate, super-tight joints check out a miter trimmer. It's a one-trick pony, but it's a heck of a trick.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=6533

Osbourne fan

I've used most of those mentioned and I've settle on the Osbourne. I understand the fan base of the Incra. It's an excellent piece of equipment.

This is one of those subjective things that I can't totally explain, but let me try. There is a speed issue with the Osbourne that causes me to reach for it first. Setting the angle is so quick and intuitive that I think it just is a quicker way to accurate cuts.

I also use a sled for longer and wider pieces, but 80 percent of what I cut is with the Osbourne. I gave a friend a good deal on my Incra.
    Yes Dear, I could build that for you if I only had that new ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hanko View Post
    Ha.
    Im pretty sure every answer you're going to get here is "You should get the -insert name of miter gauge Ive purchase here- you'll love it!"

In all seriousness - I have the Incra MiterV27 and I love it. The price sure is right at under $50 usually, and it's lightyears ahead of an OEM gauge. Any of the Incra gauges will work very well for you. How much money you spend would depend on how many odd angles you think you'll be cutting - I personally have yet to use mine at something other than 90° or 45° (hence the v27 and not the Miter1000 or something).
    agree, and have one too.

If your funds are limited, I think the best bang for the buck is the Incra V27. Amazon, <50 bucks shipped. CAN'T beat that.

Use it to build a sled...

I use my Dubby, I got it when they were first interdused 20 + yrs ago.
    Only used The miter 4 or 5 times since.
    Earl

Another dissenting opinion, I guess. I like my Woodhaven deluxe.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

This has been asked and answered a number of times recently, so I'm sure you will get a few hits for a "miter gauge" search.

Maybe I'm a miter gauge loon, but I have most of the miter gauges mentioned and have developed some definite opinions. The main feature that I like (demand) is the use of a standard track extrusion for the fence, as it gives you tremendous flexibility for non-proprietary 3rd-party attachments (e.g., stops, extensions), use for custom jigs, interchangeable fences of varying widths, etc., etc., etc.

Favorites:

• Woodhaven Deluxe and Kreg Precision Miter Gauge (almost identical)
      • simple, very accurate, standard track extrusion for fence, narrow enough to use on most bandsaws
      • Kreg has a nice pair of stops so fence can be moved (e.g., between left-side, right-side, and miters) and then reset to the same position so the calibrated rule remains calibrated.

Good:

• Osborne EB-3 (and Delta clone)
      • Strong support, heavy, cumbersome, proprietary track extrusion for fence, not usable with bandsaws, easily set for custom angles

• Incra V27

Least Favorite:

• Incra 1000SE
      • accurate, 1/2-degree increments, heavy, too wide for many bandsaws, sharp edges, wrench required to adjust, non-standard, proprietary, track extrusion for fence