View Poll Results: Should we add a turing forum?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think that would be great.

64 46.04%
  • No, I don't like the idea.

42 30.22%
  • It does not matter to me.

26 18.71%
  • I'm walking the fence on this one.

7 5.04%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Members Vote For/Against NewTurning forum

Members Vote For/Against NewTurning forum

I know this has been brought up in the past but I think it is time to consider it again. I visit two other sites that have a turning forum and they are very popular. With the popularity of turning growing so much maybe we should rethink this. Comments?????
    Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
    Don

I think a turning forum would be great.

keithz
    Don't burn the wood, turn the wood.

Frankly, I don't like any splits at all 'tween "hand tools", "power tools", "general woodworking" and "turning"....and Sawmill Creek is currently small enuf to easily accommodate that.

It's all woodworking....and I believe it to be devisive. We need more crossfertilization, not less. What general knowledge can be learned from a luthier, ornamental turner, boatbuilder, sawyer, chairmaker or stockmaker is often astounding.

I'd rather see all posts in one forum and pick thru them myself without wasting time flipping between forums. I'd probably never look at the "turning" forum and would undoubtedly miss some real nuggets....just like the "power" folks miss gems on the "hand tool" forum and vice versa.

It's the wood you leave, eh? Not the wood you take off, its shape or what you remove it with. It's all applicable.
    Last edited by Bob Smalser; 10-08-2004 at 11:10 AM.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

I voted "No". I would like to see the volume increase, and this would just fragment it further. At some point, if the volume of posts is much higher, I think it would make sense. But not now.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Same Answer

I have not changed my opinion since the last time this subject was discussed. So here is is again:

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Salisbury
    07-22-2003 8:55 AM My personal opinion (aside from being a moderator) is not to have a unique turners' forum. Bill Grumbine, Lee Schierer and Jason Roehl have made some excellent points (along with others). The majority of "turners" are also "flat" woodworkers. Some of the same techniques are used in both types of work. I wouldn't call myself either a "flat guy" or a "round guy".

To seperate turners from others by a unique forum diminishes the "community" atmosphere, they are not lepers - they are woodworkers

Besides isn't a lathe a "power tool" - therefore: "The Power Tool Forum"[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Indigo]
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

"Doesn't matter"

While I am not a turner now I hope to learn turning soon. I can see logic in separating the turning issues because there are many who simply don't care about them and they are easily distinguished from other postings. At the present time, however, there are not that many and I can easily skip them. If there were enough turning questions to fill a page, I might find that annoying when I'm really looking for tool issues. I feel the same way about the "neaderthal" forum. I use both power and power-less tools in woodworking so I check both forums.

I'm with Ken & Co. on this one. There is too much to view & learn as it is now, without enough time to take it all in! Further segmenting will only cause more time & effort.John
    NOTHING beats a failure,but a try.
    -------------------------------------------
    Have a Blessed Day,

JMC

I am not a turner. I do not own a lathe. I am sure that I look for something very different than most of you when I visit SMC. I come here to see the "artistic expression" of the individual woodworker. I feel I am totally alone in this pursuit because there is next to no dialog on the design aspects of a piece and very little of experimenting with new design ideas. Even the design forum doesn't make this happen. Perhaps this is to difficult to occur for a written community. Wood turning seems to lend itself to the artistic expression of an individual. An individual forum would keep posts together so that there could be free flowing dialog about turning. Now a turner would have to search through many posts to find what he wants, one would lose interest before he finds anything. I am in favor of a wood turning forum.
    I wonder how many of us would not look at the wood turning forum if there was one. I look at all of them now. Even though I have no money, I still look at the classified forum. I regularly visit Woodcentral and I look forward to seeing their turning forum. They have some real artists over there. Maybe there should be a poll on how many forums you read at SMC. I look through all of them. I can't see that a forum would split us up.
    Pete Lamberty

I voted that is doesn't matter to me but I have no problem segregating and partioning off another forum.

Personally, I think this forum is taking on way too many subjects and some topics go whizzing by and I never see them.

I check the Neander section just as much as I check here because it interests me. Are some of you so lazy that you cannot simply click on another forum to get the juicy nuggets over there??

On the other hand, what about the forums that get very little traffic? The design one and the article one don't get much, I think (could be wrong).

In the end, I check all the forums because that is just me. So I don't really care if a Turning forum is created (or a Finishing forum) but if a vote came up for either one, I would vote in favor of it rather than against it.

So there!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I rode the fence. When I come to SawMill Creek I select new posts. and read all I am interested in which is usually all of them. so if there was a turning forum I would read the new entries. If you pick and choose your forems to read then a turniong for would save reading the General woodworking and power tools forum. but I also agree with its all wood and lathes are a power tool. Hows that for indecisive.

Roger

Although I voted it doesn't matter to me, I am leaning toward a yes. Although I don't turn, I would still visit a Turning Forum because I love to see their work and hope to aspire to that talent someday. After all, it's only a mouse click away.

The real reason I lean to yes is so that threads stay visible longer. Because of the volume, things get bumped back pretty fast. I actually like the fact that the design and neander forums are less active- I can catch up easily without checking in so often.

Whatever the decision, this is still the best community out there.

Bob

To Bob Smalser and others, Bob I respect your opinion very, very much. I have read many of your posts and articles and have learned a lot. I can't see myself, at this point in my wwing hobby building any boats or paddles but it is still very interesting to me. That being said, I like to post my wood turning questions and pictures where they won't get lost in the maze of questions about what drill or router to buy. PLEASE !!!! Don't misunderstand me because I think that is very important to the woodworker in general. Unfortunately I do not have the time to go through pages of posts and read them all. I truly understand what everyone is saying whether it is pro or con and I respect everyones opinion. I have just been posting my turning "stuff" on other forums and thought it might be a good idea here.
    If that does not work out then no hard feelings....so be it.
    Like I said in my previous post the "other turning forums" seem to me to get much more activity than all the others put together.
    THAT'S JUST MY 2 CENTS WORTH !!!!!! I have nothing else to say.. Period.
    Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
    Don

No problem, Don...it ain't that big a deal either way.

I think the 9000-member boatbuilder forums...even with zero moderators...sort that out pretty well by volunteers keeping up a detailed "FAQ" list and members referring new folks to it for routine questions. Not difficult to do when the sponsor allots enuf storage space to keep the old, important FAQ threads forever....those old threads routinely resurrected and updated.

What I think is best about this forum is zero-pseudonyms and active moderators. Tends to keep the bilge rats in the bilge. Add permanent "articles" and "FAQ" sections that can be routinely updated and you'll have the best of both worlds.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

I voted Yes. There are Problems unique to each type of woodworking. If someone is looking for an answer to a problem that is strictly related to Turning, it makes sense to have them segregated. By having the "New Posts" button, all forums show up for general interest and ties the comunity together.

Bruce
    Last edited by Bruce Shiverdecker; 10-09-2004 at 12:46 AM.

I voted "yes" in hopes that it might generate some additional interest in SMC from turners who don't frequent our favorite forum. I don't see that it can hurt. Like many, I simply click on "New Posts" when I login so that I don't miss any threads of interest regardless of where they are posted.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb